GEN 1 Clunk from steering rack?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trayack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE - 7/12/22

Dealer looked at the truck and didn’t really find anything that stood out like crazy. He ( I know and trust the tech personally) stated that there was slight play in the passenger side ball joint, and there was a bit of fluid weep from the rack as well. Rack mounting bolts were said to be tight.

At this point we’re just going to throw some parts at it to see if it goes away. New rack and passenger ball joint will be installed the middle of august. I’ll keep everyone posted.

- Travis

trayack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'd love to offer up my update after the rack was replaced BUT my appointment was canceled because the dealership couldn't get the rack. Got a call the day before it was supposed to go in for the work and was told the rack hadn't shown up yet and when they checked, they were told it was backordered with no est arrival date.

So that's great....

jessie5150

Reaction score
I had slight play on the driver side tie rod . But was coming from the rack it's self. I replaced the tie rods inner and outer and did a shake down after and still had the play on the driver side and then narrowed it down to the gear box. There's a nylon bushing in the system that gets worn down over time (156k on mine ) came across a thread where he shows and tells you how to adjust it . Simple and easy . You Just have to make your own tool. So I adjusted it and it's gone . No slop in the steering either . But if that nylon bushing gets to worn itll cause more play and more pressure on the seals since the tolerance is out of wack and over time the seals will give , especially the driver side since that's the weaker point of any rack and pinion in general
But if your rack is already leaking then just replace it .