GEN 1 Clunk from steering rack?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I’ve had and it’s become worse a persistent clunk from the front of the truck that radiates up into the steering wheel. Only happens on washboard, square edge type stuff. I have it isolated to the steering rack, I believe at the input shaft. I can now duplicate the clunk by rocking the steering wheel back and forth with the truck off. I checked the yoke adjustment and it’s firm. I don’t have any play between turning the steering wheel and wheel turn in. I have to assume my rack is done and needs replaced. Is this one of the symptoms of a failed rack besides puking fluid and not working??

To expedite I’ve:
Rebuilt shocks
Checked torque on tie rods, ball joints, lower and upper Shock mounts, sway bar end links.
No play in ball joints, tie rods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

khcdave

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Its typical for the driver side of the rack to where the bushing out faster than the pass side due to the gear being on that side- less support around the shaft- but both sides clunk when the rack wears. We replace a lot of them. For street drivers they are good for 50-60k miles. Off roaders typically get 20-30k myself included. Its a pretty anoiying banging noise over small bumps- When you jack it up and shake the tire side to side you will see the inner tie rod moving up and down. some wont leak but do need to be replaced. Rock Auto is a good source

OP
OP
Hasty

Hasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its typical for the driver side of the rack to where the bushing out faster than the pass side due to the gear being on that side- less support around the shaft- but both sides clunk when the rack wears. We replace a lot of them. For street drivers they are good for 50-60k miles. Off roaders typically get 20-30k myself included. Its a pretty anoiying banging noise over small bumps- When you jack it up and shake the tire side to side you will see the inner tie rod moving up and down. some wont leak but do need to be replaced. Rock Auto is a good source

Good info, I have ESP and have made an appointment. I’m hoping the dealership gets it right, seems like this is a really common problem with these racks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Soooo, not saying this is the same, but I have an aftermarket bumper that bolts into the two big steering rack bolts. The bumper (and therefore bolts) has had to come off a time or two. The most recent time I also installed fancy new heim tie rods and immediately noticed a similar clunk. I could make it happen turning the wheel back and for. I could both hear it and feel it in the wheel - driver's side. I thought it was the tie rod kit at first (it wasn't). When I got under the truck and pushed up on the tie rod I could make the noise kinda happen. I noticed that the driver's side of the rack nudged a bit - it wasn't play in the rod or heim like I expected, the whole rack was moving a tiny bit and causing the clunk.

Root cause? The steering rack bolts weren't tight enough. Mind you, they were tight, but those suckers have a torque spec of 325 ft lbs. I dropped the skid plate, called a friend, got a very large ratchet (26mm) and a massive crescent wrench and we tightened those suckers up. Clunk is gone.

Will it fix your problem? I dunno, but get under there and give those tie rods a nice shove upwards. I only had the problem on the driver's side, but I tightened both up.

trayack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did anyone ever figure out what this issue is? I just starting having this exact issue about 500 miles ago. (I don’t drive the truck a whole lot.)

Mine is a 2013 with 65k miles on it.

- Travis