Clunk from rear going over even bumps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tltoronto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When was the last time you greased your driveshaft slip yoke? I am afraid to say that my warranty driveshaft is beginning to bind up again. Pull the shaft, and get the specified ptfe motorcraft grease on the splines. Not much oil will leak when you pull it, and grease the shit out of both surfaces.

OP
OP
allinon72

allinon72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When was the last time you greased your driveshaft slip yoke? I am afraid to say that my warranty driveshaft is beginning to bind up again. Pull the shaft, and get the specified ptfe motorcraft grease on the splines. Not much oil will leak when you pull it, and grease the shit out of both surfaces.

I’ve had that issue on an older F150 and this isn’t it. This definitely feels like some looseness somewhere in the rear. Doesn’t happen very often because it only shows up when both rear wheels are impacted at the same time. Right now I’m still leaning towards leaf spring bushings.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The fact that it only happens when you hit both sides makes me think driveshaft too. Bad bushings should show over any harsh bump on either side. The driveshaft travels most when both sides wheels manipulated in the same direction.

tltoronto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had that issue on an older F150 and this isn’t it. This definitely feels like some looseness somewhere in the rear. Doesn’t happen very often because it only shows up when both rear wheels are impacted at the same time. Right now I’m still leaning towards leaf spring bushings.

I got my driveshaft replace under the recall four years ago, and now, the clunk has come back again, indicating, the plating on the slip yoke wore out. The driveshaft is a very easy remedy, $7 for the ptfe grease, and about 20 minutes and some blue Loctite. It is an easy endeavor and a process of elimination. Id do it if you never have