Clunk from rear going over even bumps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allinon72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a clunk/wallow from the rear end going over bumps that effect both rear tires, like a raised expansion joint. Obviously this also unsettles the truck but I believe that's normal. Trying to figure out how to mitigate it at least - I've narrowed it down to the leaf spring eyelet bushings. My shocks are brand new OEM. Has anyone experienced this and what was the fix?

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your talking about hitting an expansion joint at speed in a curve unsettling the rear? If so yes that's normal for a live axle setup. The tires temporarily loose full contact. There aren't any really simple/cheap fixes for this. If your bushings are worn it could do nothing but help if you fix them, what do you run your tire pressures at? What size tire?

OP
OP
allinon72

allinon72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your talking about hitting an expansion joint at speed in a curve unsettling the rear? If so yes that's normal for a live axle setup. The tires temporarily loose full contact. There aren't any really simple/cheap fixes for this. If your bushings are worn it could do nothing but help if you fix them, what do you run your tire pressures at? What size tire?

I'm talking straight at moderate speed, say 40mph. I run stock tires at stock tire pressures.

tltoronto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On your drvers side all the way back by your bumper, the frame has a harmonic balancer weight. Jam a rag in it and go for a drive. See if its the culprit. I have been toying with removing mine since I wonder what it does and the bushings look a little shot. Plus the thing probably weighs the same as a corolla so that would be nice to pull off.

DezertRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been noticing something similar i think, everytime i drive over a speed bump it seems like theres play somewhere in the rear, like if the bed was loose

rear shocks are brand new
I press down by the rear bumper and can hear a knock coming underneath the bed

havent checked leaf/shackle bushings

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's probably that massive block of steel (vibration dampener) between the bed and frame rail on the drivers side rear.

trayack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm actually dealing with something similar but its not audible. ( I posted about this on the Ford Raptor Owner's Group on FB )

For me I'm getting the vibration from the ass end that feels like the first inch of bump travel isn't being dampened by the shocks. If you think of a sign wave, I'd say its about 4-5 waves before it settles out after the bump. I'm the original owner and I can positively state that the truck has not done this for its entire life.

As of now the truck (2013 SCab) has 52K miles on it. The factory shocks were replaced roughly 1000 miles ago all the way around and that changed nothing. I just replaced the leaf springs with the ICON springs 100 miles or so ago and that too has not changed the feeling. When I did the springs everything was torqued to spec with while the truck was under its own weight. I reused the factory shackles and checked to ensure they were in good order before reinstallation.

Spare tire is tight up to the frame, and the left frame rail weight is in tact. In the past I've ziptied the weight into a fixed position and this had no effect. I'll give that a shot again I guess to be sure.

Yesterday I did a few dump runs with roughly 150lbs or more of brush/tree material in the bed and that DID help a fair amount I will say.

- Travis

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you checked your cab and bed mounts, suspension bushings (all the rubber stuff that keeps the truck from being noisy)? Did you get new or rebuilt shocks? If you got your shocks rebuilt I wonder if the bores are worn at the center of travel, get out of that range and your back in good working territory