Clunk and whine 2018 gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jasonb77

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Raptor. Let me start by saying I’ve had 4 other Ford F150’s with no issues since 2004. I do mostly interstate driving to work and then light gravel roads for work with some bumps here and there. I’ve never been in deep mud and only turned on 4 wheel drive twice but it rides like a Cadillac down the gravel roads. I bought this truck new in May of 2019 and have 57,500miles on it already. Interstate miles. I’ve only turned on sport mode twice to check it out. I baby my raptor in other words. The problems... while driving on the interstate I’ve noticed when I accelerate some times I hear a clunk. The truck jerks slightly at this. Happened about 8 or 9 times and usually happens when I’m in cruise and decide to speed up just a little. I’m not pushing the pedal to the floor. Around 52,000 miles the truck started whining and I brought it in the shop. It was the rear-end which they rebuild only now and don’t replace. I have 57,000 miles now. I’ve only had the truck 3 months since it was in the shop for the rear-end. It clunked on me about 4 weeks after getting it out of the shop. This weeks I noticed it whining again. I’ll have to get back to the shop when I get off work in about 10 days or so. I’m at the point I don’t want this truck anymore If it’s going to be a constant expensive issue. Was covered last time but had to wait 3 months almost for them to get parts and rebuild it and had to be in a rental vehicle. If it goes out of warranty which it will soon I don’t want to have to rent another vehicle for 3 months and pay a fortune for this thing to be rebuilt again only to fail 10,000 miles later again. I feel like the clunk is related and their something not mechanically right with these trucks. I’m scared to keep this thing. First 10 speed I’ve had and I’m wondering if there is a correlation with that. No rear end problems with my other f150’s ever. If I get stuck repairing this truck myself I may have to look for an upgrade for the rear-end. Anyone else with these issues or thoughts on this?

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is nothing mechanically wrong with "these trucks"; if you're having a repeat issue than it was misdiagnosed or improperly repaired. The rear axle is the same 9.75" used in F-150s since the late 90's. The reason that they repaired the rear axle instead of replacing it is because you can't buy a complete axle as an assembly; the housing, ring & pinion, differential, and bearings all come separately. If the noise is coming from the rear axle, it has nothing to do with the transmission. I would recommend trying a different dealer to make sure it gets accurately diagnosed so the issue can be resolved properly before you're out of warranty.

OP
OP
J

jasonb77

Reaction score
The more I read the more I see people are having problems with the rear ends in their Raptors. The whine doesn’t go away sometimes while driving. It’s always there. When they fixed/rebuilt the rear end it quit for the 5 or 6000 miles in between and just started back. Trust me I want the truck to be mechanically sound...but it’s not. I’ll try a different dealer this time when I get back from work. If this doesn’t work it’s for sale.

OP
OP
J

jasonb77

Reaction score
I’m just frustrated with it. Had no problems with my other raptor and planned on keeping this one for good and turning it to just my off-road vehicle later when I was finished using it for work. I k ow the dealership was having trouble getting parts so maybe they tried to make do with what they had to rebuild it and didn’t do it right. At the time they had one other raptor their with the same problem. Looking back at it now I don’t think that’s a coincidence. Is there a different rear end I can put under it? I tried looking some up because I want to keep this truck. I found a Currie but that thing was way way too much. Maybe I’ll just have to get a new Raptor and try it out. I did think they had the same rear ends though like ford tech pointed out. Maybe it just wasn’t rebuilt right...well guess that’s apparent since it hasn’t been many miles since it was “fixed”