Clear Undercoat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

willis68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome post, someone told me about the Amsoild HD a while back, I have 3 cans of it waiting on me when I get home. I plan on thoroughly cleaning the underside of the truck and putting this on. I wish I would have known about it when i got my truck

willis68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you think it would do in the Florida heat? I am thinking with the heat from the truck combined with the weather not so good, it may drip off/melt off/evaporate.

What do you think?

It should be fine, just check it from time to time and have an extra can or 2 for touch ups.

BIGt0007

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok guys got me some boeshield at sears today any tips before I start wiping this stuff on?

Mike Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two tests I ran across:

This was just left outside, an environmental test.
Boeshield did good here GunTech : Gun Cleaning Clinic: Knowing the Limits of Rust Preventatives - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

This was a salt water test:
Boeshield did good also http://www.thehulltruth.com/sportfishing-charters-forum/123560-test-corrosion-inhibitor-sprays.html

Notice how the WD40 did well in the environmental test and failed the salt water test. I think the salt water test is the one to go by. I wish they had tested the Amsoil HD.

Last edited:

BIGt0007

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Boeshield!

Update on the Boeshield. HUGE TIP..... if you want to use a metal protectant on your truck, do it the second you get home from the dealership!!!! A handful of trips off road and there is dirt everywhere! I've sprayed from the rear bumper to the transfercase and used 3 cans I could have used less but I sprayed into every hole in the frame, and into every crossmember. I'll get more and solider on!

Mike Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found another. Looks real good. I think John Deere uses this. Hit the vid on that page. He says it gets into the pours of metal even if rust is present which does not need to be cleaned off. What do you guys think?

Fluid Film Catalog

I am going to buy the Ams HD and the Fluid Fill. I have Boeshield already.
I'll cut 3 pieces of metal blocks maybe 5x5 by 1/2 inch, I'll see what I have around.

I will spray all 3 of them, leave them outside in the Florida Sun. It rains here like 3 times a week. Its the rainy season and hot and humid. What more could we ask for. Anyone have anything to add, want to send in some sample metal, want to test something you have let me know. I'll report back.

willis68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with Amsoils HD because I am a huge fan of their oil products, I plan on changing all the fluids in my truck to Amsoil in the future, I already have the oil and filter for next change waiting for me

BIGt0007

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Difference

I found another. Looks real good. I think John Deere uses this. Hit the vid on that page. He says it gets into the pours of metal even if rust is present which does not need to be cleaned off. What do you guys think?

Fluid Film Catalog

I am going to buy the Ams HD and the Fluid Fill. I have Boeshield already.
I'll cut 3 pieces of metal blocks maybe 5x5 by 1/2 inch, I'll see what I have around.

I will spray all 3 of them, leave them outside in the Florida Sun. It rains here like 3 times a week. Its the rainy season and hot and humid. What more could we ask for. Anyone have anything to add, want to send in some sample metal, want to test something you have let me know. I'll report back.

Was about to say looks like all these products are the same, but fluid film says it has no solvents in its product. Boeshield says its wax suspended in a solvent?

Good or bad I don't know? My whole goal is to prevent rust, and make it easier to clean.
Thanks for the R&D please keep us posted.

Mike Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK lets start. 6 weeks till Raptor gets here, we need to know.

This will not be the most professional test you have ever seen but it will give us all a look as to what will happen in the rain, humidity, and Florida sunny conditions.

I got the Fluid Flim and Amsoil ordered. The boeshield I have and use at the shop now.

I Did not have have good steel hanging around. To do a good job, I wanted the same shapes on the test pieces, so we have something uniform to look at.

So I got four of these here McMaster-Carr We have an account there.

Our samples will be 3/16" Thick, 2-1/4" Width, 12" Length

One for each product and the 4th we will leave in the raw.

Description of the steel says:
General Purpose Low-Carbon Steel
Often used for structural and automotive applications, this low-carbon steel also has good weldability.

Rectangular Bars—Unpolished Mill Finish (Cold Finished)
Hardness: Rockwell B72-B86
Yield Strength: 45,000-55,000 psi
Furnished as drawn

When everything comes in, we will start. I will post pictures so we all can follow. I'll do a weekley picture for an update.

I'll tell you something I leave a shovel out wet over night, its got allot of rust on it the next day. I am very interested to see what happens to the triplets.

Last edited: