Cleaning OEM Seat Covers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
funkified

funkified

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I gotta ask: why did you not use the old seat as a complete swap? I reread your initial post but maybe I missed the reason why you wanted to use your oem frame?

good question! There were several reasons:

1. As you can see from the original picture the seats were very dirty as they were sitting in a cold storage shed/barn for over 2 years. During that time, mice crapped all over the seats. The frame was rusty too.
2. You cant see it, but there is also a tear/separation in the side of upper cover
3. I knew my seat worked properly 100% and didnt want any issues
4. I wanted to learn how to do it.

It definitely would have been easier to do a 1:1 swap and test it all out, but sometimes I do things the hard way lol

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
good question! There were several reasons:

1. As you can see from the original picture the seats were very dirty as they were sitting in a cold storage shed/barn for over 2 years. During that time, mice crapped all over the seats. The frame was rusty too.
2. You cant see it, but there is also a tear/separation in the side of upper cover
3. I knew my seat worked properly 100% and didnt want any issues
4. I wanted to learn how to do it.

It definitely would have been easier to do a 1:1 swap and test it all out, but sometimes I do things the hard way lol
I removed my seat bottom to change my heating element a few years ago, but didn't have the issue you had with the back of the seat, thinking maybe an issue with the foam "bulking" a bit or something. I do have an issue with my front flap coming undone once in awhile. I too need new seat covers but the only place they are available is on ebay that I've found and that guy can go pound sand with his prices, I will sit on a bucket before throwing money away like that, ha ha.

OP
OP
funkified

funkified

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed my seat bottom to change my heating element a few years ago, but didn't have the issue you had with the back of the seat, thinking maybe an issue with the foam "bulking" a bit or something. I do have an issue with my front flap coming undone once in awhile. I too need new seat covers but the only place they are available is on ebay that I've found and that guy can go pound sand with his prices, I will sit on a bucket before throwing money away like that, ha ha.

ya im not sure what the previous owner did to it. That upper left bolster is also totally disintegrated/crushed.

I've looked at plenty of higher mileage units for sale after i got my truck, and their interiors looked far better than mine. The owner wasnt a big dude either, it must have been just the way he leaned on the seat and how he got out of the truck.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ya im not sure what the previous owner did to it. That upper left bolster is also totally disintegrated/crushed.

I've looked at plenty of higher mileage units for sale after i got my truck, and their interiors looked far better than mine. The owner wasnt a big dude either, it must have been just the way he leaned on the seat and how he got out of the truck.
Maybe his wife was using the truck one day?

1643301258260.png

Sportyworty

Reaction score
I was able to improve my seats at 74K miles with Griots products last week. That leather needed fed lol
Not much you can do once they really crack but you can improve them. On heavier leather in valuable cars they sand and dye but this stuff is kinda faux ish lol
CoronaRaptor, I have this link saved for future and possibly the same vendor on EBay. Going to roll with the new improved version up to 100K when it’s time to do several items.

OP
OP
funkified

funkified

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to improve my seats at 74K miles with Griots products last week. That leather needed fed lol
Not much you can do once they really crack but you can improve them. On heavier leather in valuable cars they sand and dye but this stuff is kinda faux ish lol
CoronaRaptor, I have this link saved for future and possibly the same vendor on EBay. Going to roll with the new improved version up to 100K when it’s time to do several items.

nice, did not know about this place, bookmarked!