Clash of the dirt dinosaurs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s certainly the case with a decent portion of Raptor owners.

The searching for MSRP or below however would apply to people of all incomes IMO since nobody likes to overpay for anything.

Mostly true. That's why I said it was fairly evident, as there certainly are people who could afford much more but don't like the idea of paying a penny more then they have to.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s certainly the case with a decent portion of Raptor owners.

The searching for MSRP or below however would apply to people of all incomes IMO since nobody likes to overpay for anything.

True here. But also true that if you can afford $75k, you can probably afford $90k. Yes, some people stretch. I'll bet most do not. None of the Raptor owners I know here locally thought twice about the price.

bmarco

Reaction score
In the C & D off-road comparison test, the TRX got 4 mpg off-road, 9 on-road. Surprised no one mentioned that it weighs close to NINE THOUSAND POUNDS. The TRX they tested listed for $90k. I paid $58k for my '18, 802a, all the mechanical upgrades (didn't need no stinkin' sunroof, lol). Can I afford the gas mileage ? No problem. Sticker a problem ? No, but I am a value oriented person. I assume the rumored Raptor with a GT 500 engine, will be comparable, both performance and price wise. Either worth $31K more than my truck ? No way.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In the C & D off-road comparison test, the TRX got 4 mpg off-road, 9 on-road. Surprised no one mentioned that it weighs close to NINE THOUSAND POUNDS. The TRX they tested listed for $90k. I paid $58k for my '18, 802a, all the mechanical upgrades (didn't need no stinkin' sunroof, lol). Can I afford the gas mileage ? No problem. Sticker a problem ? No, but I am a value oriented person. I assume the rumored Raptor with a GT 500 engine, will be comparable, both performance and price wise. Either worth $31K more than my truck ? No way.

9k pounds? So it’s really a 1 ton truck LOL

Ah @zombiekiller was right about the off-road mileage as compared to on road. Something tells me he knows a little about off roading :D

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
9k pounds? So it’s really a 1 ton truck LOL

Ah @zombiekiller was right about the off-road mileage as compared to on road. Something tells me he knows a little about off roading :D

"little bit" is the operative phrase. I've had wonderful folks in the community teach me everything that I know.

I think it'll do a little better than the C&D testing down in Baja. There are quite a few areas where, yes, you're into the throttle a bit, but if you have the stones, you're over 100mph in a truck like a raptor or TRX, and crazy enough you get decent gas mileage.

The challenge is, other sections, it'll get 2 MPG. I have literally had my dash telling me that I'm 50 miles till empty, with 1/2 tank left. there are TONS of places where you're going way more than 100 miles between fuel opportunities. EXO tends to keep a 55 gallon drum of fuel in the chase truck just in case.

I'm sure, if it is possible to pull off, S&B will have a larger fuel tank for it, but I don't know how likely it will be to cram a 60 Gallon tank in it. ( and by comparison, my heavy ass super duty gets about 600 miles out of its 60 gallon tank when offroad. It might not have all of the ponies that a TRX does, but it does put down 1000 ft/lbs. )

Make no mistake, I legitimately want the TRX to work and be successful. Competition breeds innovation. I just have serious reservations about how useable as a legit offroader the TRX really is.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
I hate how the front grill looks, they should have made it look different.

The Raptor has a more aggressive look than the TRX.

Price and Gas mileage along with FCA quality is a big No thank you from me!

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
"little bit" is the operative phrase. I've had wonderful folks in the community teach me everything that I know.

I think it'll do a little better than the C&D testing down in Baja. There are quite a few areas where, yes, you're into the throttle a bit, but if you have the stones, you're over 100mph in a truck like a raptor or TRX, and crazy enough you get decent gas mileage.

The challenge is, other sections, it'll get 2 MPG. I have literally had my dash telling me that I'm 50 miles till empty, with 1/2 tank left. there are TONS of places where you're going way more than 100 miles between fuel opportunities. EXO tends to keep a 55 gallon drum of fuel in the chase truck just in case.

I'm sure, if it is possible to pull off, S&B will have a larger fuel tank for it, but I don't know how likely it will be to cram a 60 Gallon tank in it. ( and by comparison, my heavy ass super duty gets about 600 miles out of its 60 gallon tank when offroad. It might not have all of the ponies that a TRX does, but it does put down 1000 ft/lbs. )

Make no mistake, I legitimately want the TRX to work and be successful. Competition breeds innovation. I just have serious reservations about how useable as a legit offroader the TRX really is.

It’s looking likely the TRX is more a short course and weekend street pounder truck then a long range Baja runner. But how can you expect mileage and range from a 6.2L blown 700HP heavy truck? This is no magically formula for that, but rather the opposite. Over landing with two 55g drums of fuel in the bed? The truck is potent, but has limits by design.

Now what will Ford do if it uses a Predator motor in a Raptor? I think it can get better mileage due to the truck being lighter, and the smaller displacement motor can save fuel when not being driven balls the wall hard. But it still won’t be a gas sipper.

a Powerboost variant would be the answer for range. Two versions? Pick what suites you? Time will tell.

I’d never laugh at a 1000lbs-ft TQ vehicle. 60g tank should keep you on the road for a while.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
It’s looking likely the TRX is more a short course and weekend street pounder truck then a long range Baja runner. But how can you expect mileage and range from a 6.2L blown 700HP heavy truck? This is no magically formula for that, but rather the opposite. Over landing with two 55g drums of fuel in the bed? The truck is potent, but has limits by design.

Now what will Ford do if it uses a Predator motor in a Raptor? I think it can get better mileage due to the truck being lighter, and the smaller displacement motor can save fuel when not being driven balls the wall hard. But it still won’t be a gas sipper.

a Powerboost variant would be the answer for range. Two versions? Pick what suites you? Time will tell.

I’d never laugh at a 1000lbs-ft TQ vehicle. 60g tank should keep you on the road for a while.

supercharged 6.2L raptors generally get considerably better than 4-5MPG offroad. Usually around 8-10. I'm certain that it's because they are hauling 2000 lbs less than the TRX.

The ExO chase truck stays on the highway with the 55 gal drums. All attendees bring 1 or 2 5 gal dump cans. ( screws tend to bring 1, scabs tend to bring 2, unless they are running larger than stock fuel cells). The chase truck meets us when we are exiting the dirt. There are a few routes that are over 180 miles between fuel stops.

I have personally rolled into san felipe with the dash saying 4 miles till empty. It is no fun when you have to shift into neutral to save fuel when going down hills just so you make it to the gas station.

The raptor is significantly lighter than the TRX. it makes a big difference.

a lot of folks think that the ecoboost is a sipper, it is not. As stated, If I try hard, I can get my gas mileage below 5MPG, but I REALLY have to be banging it off the rev limiter for a couple hours. ( yes, I have done this.)

I tend to wonder if the TRX motor will hold together in the same scenario. It would be cool if they offered a few HP levels that were selectable. IIRC the demons do that. 550HP and then the "full tilt" HP level. That might help an awful lot.

2slo4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
supercharged 6.2L raptors generally get considerably better than 4-5MPG offroad. Usually around 8-10. I'm certain that it's because they are hauling 2000 lbs less than the TRX.

The ExO chase truck stays on the highway with the 55 gal drums. All attendees bring 1 or 2 5 gal dump cans. ( screws tend to bring 1, scabs tend to bring 2, unless they are running larger than stock fuel cells). The chase truck meets us when we are exiting the dirt. There are a few routes that are over 180 miles between fuel stops.

I have personally rolled into san felipe with the dash saying 4 miles till empty. It is no fun when you have to shift into neutral to save fuel when going down hills just so you make it to the gas station.

The raptor is significantly lighter than the TRX. it makes a big difference.

a lot of folks think that the ecoboost is a sipper, it is not. As stated, If I try hard, I can get my gas mileage below 5MPG, but I REALLY have to be banging it off the rev limiter for a couple hours. ( yes, I have done this.)

I tend to wonder if the TRX motor will hold together in the same scenario. It would be cool if they offered a few HP levels that were selectable. IIRC the demons do that. 550HP and then the "full tilt" HP level. That might help an awful lot.

I have nothing else to contribute other than I very much want to do the EXO Baja Raptor run!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

The TRX weighs 6866 lbs...not sure where the 9k figure is coming from.