GEN 1 Clank sound after shortly after rolling from a stop (not the dreaded "clunk")

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck makes an annoying sharp "clank" sound shortly after rolling from a dead stop. It usually just makes one very noticeable "clank" sound--like the sound of a wrench tapping an exhaust pipe--versus something that continues while the truck is going down the road. It will also occasionally make the sound just prior to coming to a stop as well.

I have ruled out the IWE...
As I mention in a previous thread questioning the Integrated Wheel End (IWE), aka hub actuators, I have troubleshot the entire IWE system, including both the left and right actuators themselves, the vacuum lines, solenoid, check valve, vacuum reservoir and vacuum source. All work to spec or better. I even when so far as to drive around with the vacuum source disconnected and capped--physically verifying that each hub was fully locked. The "clank" sound persisted...weather in 4hi, 4lo, 2hi w/ hubs engaged, or 2hi w/ hubs disengaged.

My CV axles are solid w/ only minor rotating slack and end-play. The t-case's forward drive shaft is solid as well.

Anyone know of anything else I should check?

The truck is a '14 SCrew w/ just a few hundred miles shy of 60k. I am the only owner and the only one that drives it. It sees only occasional, but very mild off-road use--although I did get it stuck once... :doh2: The truck got its first set of new tires just after 50k miles or so...upon which I went to mid-perch and put on a set of 37" BFGs. I also installed R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors at all four corners at around the same time.