CineSLR's Screw...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peppercorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks bar,
Look forward to hearing from you!

Pepper,
LR will change the way you view post on a computer. Do you ever use your histogram? Once figuring out how to make it work for me it has made finding exposure 100x easier for me. I also like contrasty images so it has helped me get everything I can out of my images. If you want to make it even easier on yourself make a habit of looking at the histogram as your shooting. Its basically a graphical view of the image so the more info on the graph, the more info there is in the file. One big difference in digital vs film is that film is better on the high end where as film is better on the low end. Especially with RAW files, it is better to push digital and pull film. Meaning its safer to be on the underexposed side than it is on the over exposed side.

Are you saying you don't see the difference in RAW on the camera or in post? What your seeing on the camera screen is still just a Jpeg where the camera is guessing what it thinks you might want. It is not an indicator of what the file will look like, more for overall exposure and composition, thats it. You won't actually see the RAW file until you put it through a RAW converter/processor on the computer. Another big benefit to RAW is that there is no color processing done in camera. That is all done in post where LR gives you all the settings offered on the camera (daylight, tungsten, cloudy, auto and of course manual which you can use a dropper anywhere in the image). When you edit JPEGs every change you make to the image is removing information. Editing natively in RAW there is never a loss of information. Another big upgrade in LR3 from 2 is their noise reduction. I don't have 3 yet (have been spending too much time doing video now) but apparently thats one of the big updates there. If you do a lot of low light stuff that will be a big help. What body are you shooting on now?

Sorry if its a bit winded... this is not just for you, but anyone that might be into photography on the site ;)

Not winded at all, it's great.

I just did a check on my new external drives and it looks like I am averaging about 30,000 images per year in rough numbers, the majority being action/motion subjects.

I'm on my third Canon 1D MKlll and often, with action, am shooting two bodies at a time. Heck, I even do that at home sometimes due to habit and shooting mostly primes. I also still rotate my 1D MKll in the mix. I have just skipped the MKlV altogether since Canon can't seem to get AI Servo to be consistent. I hear a MKV may surface Fall/Winter and that they have completely revamped the Autofocus, we'll see.
That being said I shoot 98% of the time in AI Servo so it's been a huge issue for me with the MKllls.
I have been shooting at about 1/3 stop under since my switch to digital, I lost too many shots to overexposure in the beggining. I did the histogram alot initially till I got a seat of the pants feel for what the camera was 'thinking' exposure wise.
Yes, RAW vs Pegs in post, that was the comparo I did years ago and, being taxed for time and processing alot of volume I have sorta just never really looked back.
I also haven't been on any of the photo sites much in the past few years either. Just for the fun of it I Googled RAW vs Jpeg last night. Wow, there was very little support for my 'Pegs' out there. Ha, tell that to the folks that buy my prints I say.Lol!
A fellow told me once, years ago, that as long as you don't save the changes you make to a peg that all the original data is preserved, do you disagree? I sorta took his word as gospel at the time.

Wow, now who is winded?

You have me thinking, that's for sure.

Desert Dawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Dawg,
Awesome! I don't mind driving a bit, this trip is going to be 4k+ mi. We could make a meet out of it if you guys want. Would you guys be down with camping?

Wow...that would be a long trip to make! I would be good for a meet if you guys want but don't have my truck yet (still waiting to order), so hopefully will have something by the time you come through.

OP
OP
CineSLR

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
Well I'm based in New Orleans and my trip starts in PHX, goes around AZ, hits the Havasu Falls, ends in Vegas then its off to NM. Awesome, whats the status on the truck? Do you have a Vin?

Pepper,
Lightroom will work with Jpegs as well. I really need to get my 20D out of hibernation. The batteries died on it and I haven't picked it up since. It was going to be for the fiancée but she hasn't really used it. You went with an S? Why did you go with an S? Aren't Ss more about resolution and the non-Ss are for speed/sports? Is it the IV that has all the focus problems or is it the III? I heard the IIIs have focus issues as well.

peppercorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No 'S', just non 'S' 1DMKll and (3) 1D MKlll bodies, good for 10FPS. I have had too many focusing issues to list here. The lV has focus issues also so I am waiting for the V.
I will get LR lll and see how it goes, flow wise.
Anyway, thanks for the input as I do appreciate it.