CineSLR's Screw...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
CineSLR

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
Pepper,
What do you use for editing? I'm totally hooked on LightRoom. I still have to use photoshop for the nitty gritty and retouching but 90% of my editing is done in LR. If you haven't tried it out (or aperture) I highly recommend it. Do you shoot RAW or Jpeg?

Droid,
No bob yet. Just different shape of the rear bumper for the time being. I have already hacked up the bed enough as it is. V2.0 of my build will most likely entail a flatbed so I want to be able to sell this one if need be.

Thanks KTM and xBX!
I'm getting some picture packages together for you guys, esp those with nav!

Dawg,
Awesome! I don't mind driving a bit, this trip is going to be 4k+ mi. We could make a meet out of it if you guys want. Would you guys be down with camping?

peppercorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still in photoshop,although not very deep, and have heard nothing but rave reviews about LightRoom. It is now on my 'to do' list.

I have been shooting mostly Jpeg as I can shoot action, what I shoot alot of,at 10fps with plenty of burst depth. I should shoot more RAW but am admittedly a little lazy in the editing department.
Where do you fall in the RAW/Jpeg category?

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
holy crap we got to organize a meet somewhere! I just finished a 4k mile tour in the northwest and am already itching to go for another tour already.

I can attest to the fact that this is the nicest vehicle I've ever put miles on and there is almost zero road fatigue after driving 12 hours (including 3 gas stations)...

Please start a FRF Meet thread so I can try and re-arrange my holidays and get down there. Last week of July is perfect for me as I can combine birthday and long weekend time.

IRONMAN

Reaction score
holy crap we got to organize a meet somewhere! I just finished a 4k mile tour in the northwest and am already itching to go for another tour already.

I can attest to the fact that this is the nicest vehicle I've ever put miles on and there is almost zero road fatigue after driving 12 hours (including 3 gas stations)...

Please start a FRF Meet thread so I can try and re-arrange my holidays and get down there. Last week of July is perfect for me as I can combine birthday and long weekend time.

Well you know there is a Raptor meet thats suppose to happen here in Michigan at the Silver Lake sand dunes.
The dates are July 21st thru the 24th.

OP
OP
CineSLR

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
I should shoot more RAW but am admittedly a little lazy in the editing department.

I haven't shot a JPEG on an SLR since 2005. Maybe a couple times here and there but RAW is definitely the way to go and LightRoom will solve ALL your laziness problems in post. When you shoot JPEG your tossing out 1/3 to 1/2 of the image data on the sensor. I do recommend you use your own file management ie transfer the images to your computer yourself. Create a new folder each transfer day by date and maybe some key words about what it is and this will help you 897890230984578350249805 times in the future. The best thing about LR is that it works natively with raw files and it doesn't change the original, it simply remembers everything you do to it. This goes for cropping, gradients, RAW controls etc. The best part is you can have it save all that information in an xml file that stays with the RAW file. So if later you want to open it in photoshop all your changes are still there if you want them. The other reason to use it is its batch processing. You go through and rate all your favorites, filter those out, make your edits and go to export which has presets and boom. You can export them for printing, web, whatever all in their own folder within the originals folder. It saves SO MUCH TIME. Esp if your doing bursts with multiple shots like your describing...

As far as a meet goes it looks like I'll be in NM in early June...

Bar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Austin:

Thanks for sharing those. Absolutely incredible. PM on the way.

Bar

peppercorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't shot a JPEG on an SLR since 2005. Maybe a couple times here and there but RAW is definitely the way to go and LightRoom will solve ALL your laziness problems in post. When you shoot JPEG your tossing out 1/3 to 1/2 of the image data on the sensor. I do recommend you use your own file management ie transfer the images to your computer yourself. Create a new folder each transfer day by date and maybe some key words about what it is and this will help you 897890230984578350249805 times in the future. The best thing about LR is that it works natively with raw files and it doesn't change the original, it simply remembers everything you do to it. This goes for cropping, gradients, RAW controls etc. The best part is you can have it save all that information in an xml file that stays with the RAW file. So if later you want to open it in photoshop all your changes are still there if you want them. The other reason to use it is its batch processing. You go through and rate all your favorites, filter those out, make your edits and go to export which has presets and boom. You can export them for printing, web, whatever all in their own folder within the originals folder. It saves SO MUCH TIME. Esp if your doing bursts with multiple shots like your describing...

As far as a meet goes it looks like I'll be in NM in early June...

OK, you are calling me out on this. I'm deffinately going to get LightRoom and start working some RAW flow into the equation. I have been able to pull, for the most part, what I need from the Jpeg. I started shooting 'pegs when I got my 1DMK ll in about 2005 and haven't really looked back, four bodies later. Where I see the breakdown is in low light or contrasty scenes. If conditions are optimal, such as those I would do well with film in, I never really see a difference with the RAW file.
I suppose I still resent the computer/post process that came with digital in the first place.

OP
OP
CineSLR

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
Thanks bar,
Look forward to hearing from you!

Pepper,
LR will change the way you view post on a computer. Do you ever use your histogram? Once figuring out how to make it work for me it has made finding exposure 100x easier for me. I also like contrasty images so it has helped me get everything I can out of my images. If you want to make it even easier on yourself make a habit of looking at the histogram as your shooting. Its basically a graphical view of the image so the more info on the graph, the more info there is in the file. One big difference in digital vs film is that film is better on the high end where as film is better on the low end. Especially with RAW files, it is better to push digital and pull film. Meaning its safer to be on the underexposed side than it is on the over exposed side.

Are you saying you don't see the difference in RAW on the camera or in post? What your seeing on the camera screen is still just a Jpeg where the camera is guessing what it thinks you might want. It is not an indicator of what the file will look like, more for overall exposure and composition, thats it. You won't actually see the RAW file until you put it through a RAW converter/processor on the computer. Another big benefit to RAW is that there is no color processing done in camera. That is all done in post where LR gives you all the settings offered on the camera (daylight, tungsten, cloudy, auto and of course manual which you can use a dropper anywhere in the image). When you edit JPEGs every change you make to the image is removing information. Editing natively in RAW there is never a loss of information. Another big upgrade in LR3 from 2 is their noise reduction. I don't have 3 yet (have been spending too much time doing video now) but apparently thats one of the big updates there. If you do a lot of low light stuff that will be a big help. What body are you shooting on now?

Sorry if its a bit winded... this is not just for you, but anyone that might be into photography on the site ;)

Last edited:

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the words of the great Sam Jackson:

"English **********, do you speak it?!?!!"

jewels.jpg