Chocolate milkshake option on 6.2L?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Boss379

Boss379

Reaction score
I did not. That would have been the smart thing to do before and after replacing the oil cooler. At least now if I did it and have no loss of pressure I would think that should give me a good indication the cooler was the issue.

Maybe I should cut the old cooler in half with my carbide metal chop saw and do a post-mortem.

Thanks!
- Joe

OP
OP
Boss379

Boss379

Reaction score
Sorry for the long delay in getting an update on this. I came back from my out of town trip and got swamped/buried from multiple angles.

So I went ahead and used a legit Prestone flush/degreaser, running with the thermostat back in place to get to full temperature for about 80 minutes. After that was done I was only able to get in 2 fresh water flushes last night before calling it quits. So far it looks like I am headed in the right direction.

98490-DC9-5-E0-B-4792-B701-731113547-C2-B.jpg

I think I need to do 1 or 2 more water only flushes before I replace the hoses and call it good and run things for a while. Assuming I can find some additional time before I have to leave town again on Friday.

I tried a pressure test but the kit I bought didn’t seal at the cap very well. It dropped 2psi in 2 minutes from 20psi, but I could hear squealing air at the cap no matter what I tried. I will probably order a different test kit and try again.

Thanks!
- Joe

OP
OP
Boss379

Boss379

Reaction score
Well, 3 more flushes seems to have done the trick. All clear!

3-CA49-A17-629-C-4-B6-E-8-E39-D737-C956-C625.jpg

After the last flush, I drained all I could get out from the radiator and pulled the lower radiator hose. Then filled back up with Motocraft yellow going through a few fill cycles followed by a short trip to get gas and topped things off again. I am going to hold off on replacing the hoses for a few days to make sure everything stays clear. I hope they make it that long!

Thanks,
- Joe

Rubes

Reaction score
Great...this just happened to me today...stopped at the drive thru on my way home from work...the fans jumped up to the high speed, and I noticed the temp climbing...didnt go down once I started moving either...lucky was just a block away from home...pulled in and popped the hood and it looked just like your initial picture. CRAP!!!
Hope I can find one of those coolers in stock this weekend.

and of course no one has one in stock!!!! aarrrrgggg!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Boss379

Boss379

Reaction score
I just finished running through a full tank of gas since I did the last update. Good mix of short trips, highway driving, idling, etc. So far still the coolant looks to be pure and green.

As soon as I get a chance to clear all the backlog around the house after the huge Texas freeze I will be changing the hoses and calling it good. Hoping to cut open the old cooler for grins.

Good luck finding one. My go-to dealer didn’t have a cooler in stock but was able to get one within a day from another dealer. They are out there...

- Joe

Jeremeatz

Reaction score
@Boss379 can you give an update on how it’s driving now? I just had this same exact thing happen a week ago. I ordered the parts already just waiting for them to be shipped. Mine is a 2014 with 114k on it. Tia!