Check those cabin filters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
1BAD454SSv2

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
maintenance says 20k. replace. I think replacing both cabin air filter and engine air filter every 10k is far better. I waited on my gen 2 according to manual and they were toast. cant be good. ill be doing myself every 10k regardless.
I just turned 21,000m I think it pulls outside air when remote starting . Which I do a lot . I normally run recirc when driving . That's why I didn't think it would be as dirty . Every spring from now on.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I manage a auto repair/tire/lube facility.

The cabin air filters we see would boggle your mind. Some vehicles with 80k+ miles and never been checked/replaced.

80% of owners don't know their car has one. And pretty sure most quick lube places do not check them

2slo4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just spent a week in Baja with Expedition Off-road. My fan couldn’t even push air through the vents when I got home. Pulled the cabin air filter and found the filter to be full of Baja silt. Fan worked just fine after replacing the filter….haha

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I manage a auto repair/tire/lube facility.

The cabin air filters we see would boggle your mind. Some vehicles with 80k+ miles and never been checked/replaced.

80% of owners don't know their car has one. And pretty sure most quick lube places do not check them
I can believe it. It's not hard to change out by any stretch but it is harder than it should be. Adding to the reason it isn't a quick check for replacement such as the intake filter.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
IIRC, my manual says to change it at 30k. I changed mine at 20k. It was dirty, but not awful. I was surprised because I drive a lot of dirt roads. But I don't follow anyone, so maybe that's the difference.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
IIRC, my manual says to change it at 30k. I changed mine at 20k. It was dirty, but not awful. I was surprised because I drive a lot of dirt roads. But I don't follow anyone, so maybe that's the difference.

IKR

Local range has a mile long dirt road, pock marked and rough. Some peasant in a H*nda accord or something similar was leaving a little before me and I scolded him. “You’re not really going to try to get in front of me, are you?” he looked puzzled. “I’ll just pass you after the gate, it will just be easier for you to wait because you can only go 15 mph here, I’ll be doing 60-65."

RSO looked at him and said “dude? you’re not seriously trying to leave first here, everyone with a truck will pass you on the way out. Just let the Raptor go first."

:-D

2ndFord

Reaction score
Last few days i had to work in Phoenix on a project . My A/C had been acting strange last few weeks in AZ heat some days 42 deg coming out of vents other days 50 - 52 . No highway driving just high ambient temps. Taking trip to phoenix didn't run A/c in morning . In the blazing afternoon heat best coming out of vents was 55deg , driving at highway speeds. Plus when RPMs got up i heard a whirring noise . Got home and it was putting 51 deg out sitting in driveway . I was about to text my service guy at my local dealership to take it in . I thought i better check the cabin filter before i do. Sure enough it was very dirty . This is the original filter 3 years old. I have only driven on dirt roads with this truck a few times . Installed new one i had bought a year ago and had stashed away . Put it all back together start truck let idle a few min 43 deg . Next day way home from phoenix 42 deg the entire way. It was 110 ambient and high dewpoint . Plus the whirrring noise is now gone, can only speculate the dirty filter was increase the refrigerant pressures taxing the CCRRAAPP out of my compressor. I will be changing filter every spring from now on . I told my buddy and neighbor about it . He a 2019 f150 as well . i will be changing his on Sunday morning .
Excellent advice. I can see that I have to start doing more maintenance myself. Last truck (2006 Tacoma) there was prescribed maintenance at 5K miles, 10K miles, then a more complete maintenance at 15K miles right in the owners manual, to be stamped by the dealer upon completion of services for records. Done by dealer. Repeat, repeat, repeat, with more involved maintenance at certain higher mileage intervals (like 60K, 90K, etc.). I paid for each of those services. So when I bought the '18 Raptor new I signed up for a maintenance contract, figuring it would involve similar services and save money by paying up front. BIG BIG BIG mistake. They only do oil change and tire rotation. Not even engine or cabin air filter changes. At perhaps 38-40K miles I had a transmission shifting problem that suddenly made the truck undriveable, threw the wrench icon up on the screen. Took it to the dealer, they could find no problem and it has not recurred. But they recommended a "transmission flush and refill". So I inquired as to when that is normally recommended to be done, and they said "70K miles". How convenient. It seems that ALL services (plugs, air filters, gearbox flushes, etc.) aren't recommended until 70K miles, right when my pre-paid service contract expires. Guess I'm a sucker, and in my attempt to cover myself I got sucked in.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Been free-balling with no filter for 50k miles now. No more gym sock stench when setting out in the AM.