Check List for picking up new truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
You have this thoroughly covered. Thanks for that!

here’s a few suggestions. If it’s inclement weather or dark, WAVE OFF. do it another day. You won’t be able to inspect rain soaked paint for defects.

get pictures. every angle, more than one shot. wheels, bed, roof, undercarriage. engine compartment, all of it.

My truck was held for additional QA, over 100 miles on it but, they left me the “punch list”. I have a post on what it included. Ask if they have yours. it’s supposed to stay with the dealer and get tossed but it’s worth asking.

@Onboost has a good suggestion about oasis and asking about any damage in transport or on the lot.

Inspect for hoses, wiring harnesses that have come loose or are not fastened. we’ve had a couple of those bite folks on the drive home. Do all of this before you drive it, and check again after you drive it.

check your fluids, make sure they’re in spec. baseline your oil, brake fluid, etc. Unlikely you’ll have a problem but if you do, you’ll know what you had.

I had dial calipers with me (I’m a reloader) and I measured the gaps on the body panels. I didn’t know what was good or bad, but I could see they were even side to side and top to bottom, so I only measured the back doors closely because they had the more odd look to them - like they’re sticking out, not closing properly. but they are.

hat tip to @Chris Mies - all of the above could apply to a prius as well... but really, who would care if a prius were defective? One could argue that as they’re obstructing your path in the passing lane, they’re defective and that they attract as many moron operators as they emit Smug emissions.

anyway.

test drive. Please, please, please - if you ride, bring a helmet, bonus points if you bring one for the sales bot.

make sure to test at least the street drive modes and also the transfer case. Cane it. You don’t have to stay in it, but at least go WFO a few times, sport + 4a makes this more entertaining. if you got the moon roof, open / close it a few times before the drive, listen for rattles, squeaks, etc.

return from test drive and check over your truck again, check for any fluid leaks, clamps popped off, fasteners come loose. Another set of pics won’t hurt. There used to be a long running post titled something like “post all your 2017 raptor problems here”. I used that as a guideline. My pre-inspection was photos, hood and under truck inspection, just shy of an hour. test drive was what my wife referred to as juvenile, but the saleswoman was well used to it. it was similarly long. I was at the dealer just a tick before 5 pm, we didn’t start paperwork until about ... 8? and that was just trade stuff, and admin stuff they worked on while I got the inside tour of all the tech. that was about 30 minutes, papers was all said and done less than 40 minutes, we jawed some and split about 9:30 pm to go eat.

Good luck and let us see pictures of your new pri... my bad your new Raptor.

:)

OP
OP
Joph

Joph

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have this thoroughly covered. Thanks for that!

make sure to test at least the street drive modes and also the transfer case. Cane it. You don’t have to stay in it, but at least go WFO a few times, sport + 4a makes this more entertaining. if you got the moon roof, open / close it a few times before the drive, listen for rattles, squeaks, etc.

:)

how do you recommend testing the transfer case?

SL75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealership is going to get delivery of my truck in the next week. (fingers crossed) I have been going over threads and reading what to look for when taking delivery. First time taking ownership of a new vehicle.

Thing ive seen mentioned in other threads.

1. check paint for defects/scratches
2. check door alignments
3. check for excessive rust on underside
4. look for dents or other damage from transit
5. check oil level
6. adjust tire pressure to around 36-38psi
7. look over interior for defects
8. test drive it

-----edit with suggestions from posts
9. setup FORDPASS app.
10. make sure you have trailer assist stickers
11. inclusion of bed cleats
12. have dealer run OASIS report for possible body work history
13. ask if there was dealer lot damage that was not disclosed
14. avoid doing inspection during night or bad weather. wait for clear day
15. check all the fluid levels
16. inspect wires and harnesses that may be loose or fallen off.

is there anything else to look for? and if i discover issues the dealer is expected to correct everything?

Ive seen alot of people talk about IWE with the new builds is that still something to worry about? or is the corrected with more recent factory builds

anything else added in the thread ill add to the list. and hopefully this will be helpful to others.

Listen for the cold start rattling everyone seems to be complaining about. If anything doesn't sound right mechanically, don't accept it.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! That list is so overkill it will take all the fun out of getting a new Truck.

Wtf, check the wiring harness, check the oil level...Seriously!? Life is too short.

MY list:

Go to dealership, hand them check, get out of there as fast as I can and enjoy new truck!!

RaptorMaryland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! That list is so overkill it will take all the fun out of getting a new Truck.

Wtf, check the wiring harness, check the oil level...Seriously!? Life is too short.

MY list:

Go to dealership, hand them check, get out of there as fast as I can and enjoy new truck!!

Exactly what I did.

I would add just one thing.

Make sure dealer hands over both keys, and you do not leave one in the truck, parked anywhere in Texas.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score

MY list:

Good for you. If that works for you, awesome!

I just didn’t want to end up being “that guy” who drove off the lot, got 15 miles down the interstate to have a radiator hose pop off. Or the one who never test drove the truck and had a day ending transmission failure just after leaving the stealership. or the guy who picked up their truck in the rain only to find they drove off the lot with body damage. Or the guy who’s loose harness got burned by the exhaust. Posted tales of woe here on FRF brought a great many of these things to light. Unlikely for these things to happen? Yes. Not impossible though.

I’m glad your strategy works for you. Mine works for me and in my estimation life is too short to spend time on the side of the road waiting for Ford to dispatch a tow truck for my brand new truck.

As with most things, your mileage may vary.

Edge-st

Reaction score
If you put down a deposit make sure it is included in the final paper work.... The dealer inadvertently excluded on purpose mine.... But I caught it before i signed the final papers.... The had to write me a $5000 check because they didn't want to re-due the paper work.....