Chasing that "frt end clunk"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Limited seat time in the truck lately but I’ve noticed the clunk is back and seemed to be getting worse. Checked all the usual suspects (lower shock bolt, ball joints, a-arm bolts, sway bar end-links, tie rods). When I rebuilt the shocks I did put in the Forged shraeders, so I checked nitrogen pressure and the pass side dropped from 200 to 90. Went ahead and refilled, (still yet to determine leak but I’m suspect of the threads and locktite used to seal) clunk is significantly better but slightly there on rebound. The truck has scene a decent amount of off road so I expect some character. Current rate, this is livable. Still have to check the driver side, I assume that is leaking too. The Forged shraeders I purchased came without o-rings, I see Kartek sells them with, may go that route now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting.... I never thought to check nitrogen pressure, as i assumed the clunk was not internal. I'll have to check mine as well.

OP
OP
Eyespyautomotive

Eyespyautomotive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was really hoping the shock rebuild was going to do it. I was on original shocks at 57k so I had them done. Exact same noise after install. Total letdown.

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Im not sure what to do next other than start replacing parts and hope I get it. Im a little leery of the UCA ball joint, so i will probably throw a set of UCA's on it and see what that does. I think I will revisit the rack too. The noise in the rack video back on the prior page sounds exactly like the noise i feel/hear in the cab by my feet.

Gonna keep looking, but man Im sick of working on and laying under this thing...

Really wish I could get this thing on the road simulator at work and run a test. I thinik id find it then..

I'm hoping to get some time as well to help solve this. My Raptor that doesn't have the clunk has (2011)350,000 miles vs the one that has it is at 110,000 (2012).
Been out of town working so i haven't even been able to look at (passenger shock clearance)
Both raptor have brand new 2.5s so i know it's not low nitrogen.
... My number one suspicion is still steering rack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@ogdobber 350,000 miles... dang, that has to be one of the highest on here.
What have you replaced in the life of that truck?

I have only done 30k of it... Original owner used it as a highway queen (never saw dirt[emoji15]) so not much but the obvious brakes, tires, shocks, etc
However, I did throw a new engine in (only because i got a nos raptor engine for $3500) and a new transmission from ford

Raptors are like P71s, if you don't beat on them they will last forever. Way overbuilt for everyday driving

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So i have all but confirmed my clunk with a replacement part, as I suspected the steering rack!
See video and make your own conclusions.
note-steering ball joints had 0 movement.

Also I checked passenger shock clearance and the passenger side (on both my trucks) is much closer than the drivers side, and i can definitely see that being a "clunk" if those bushings wear out. The dead giveaway would be a witness mark on the shock. My bushings are new and shocks have no marks.
Also a blown shock, which i had on my 2011 when i purchased it, makes a sorta "clunk"...but this is far different than THE clunk that drives people to create threads[emoji23]