Chasing that "frt end clunk"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Eyespyautomotive

Eyespyautomotive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have fox 3.0 shocks and have the front end clunk. I replaced the upper and lower shock mounting bearings with new ones,bought the forged off road lower mounting bolts with the longer shank, torqued bolts to 430 ft lbs and still have the front end clunk. Installed a set of ready lift lower control arms,no more clunk. definetly something with the tolerances on the stock arms lower mounting tolerances.

Im going to dive into those LCA bushings and see how they are designed.

Been searching the forums forever in reference to something similar to what I hear every bump I hit. Can you please post your video footage so I can see if it’s similar to what I have going on my 2017?

Ill try, they are on my home computer. Im at work.

How do you like the shock rebuild from GJ? Their price is a good bit lower than Forged Off-road...

I do not recommend them, The rebuild is fine but I am not overly impressed with the communication, still waiting on getting my core deposits back weeks later. If i did it again id try someone else or buy new.

Last edited:

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a theory that its the power steering rack. I have two raptors, one has a clunk and the other doesn't. Both are identical with brand new fox 2.5s. the raptor that doesn't clunk, the steering feels "smoother" ...hard to explain, but it does feel different. The one that clunks, it sounds (and feels) like it coming from the right front.
I have of course checked to see everything it tight etc...
Sooner or later im going to throw a new rack in it just gotta find the time and motivation[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Eyespyautomotive

Eyespyautomotive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I watched a you tube video, ill have to go find it again, that showed how to adjust the play out of it. I agree with your theory and feel its possibile the long part of the rack that connects the inner tie rods may be loose and thumps around.

This could also be why you only feel the noise/looseness and slower speeds as claimed by most people. At higher speeds the roadforce pulling out on the tie rods might be too much for the bumps to overcome essentially quieting it.

This will be my next thing to check

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Heres a video on adjusting the rack
I did do that on mine, found using a bolt head (21mm or whatever the bolt diameter is for the head to fit the hex on the rack) made welding the smaller nut you use to turn it (my case 15mm) a lot easier, and being shorter than a nut meant I didn't need to remove the rack to get it in there and adjust it. Not that removing the rack bolts is difficult but you need a serious torque wrench to hit that 325 ft-lbs going back in.

And im wondering if this is the noise.

Thats a LOT of play, transmitted right to the crossmember and frame...wish we could rebuild our own racks...

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't have play in my steering wheel but i think it's worth it to put a wrench on the rack to see if it makes a difference.
In my case (just guessing because not knowing exactly the internals of this rack) but i feel the horizontal gear is loose on the right side...so its not the gears not meshing but actually lifting up then slapping back down (that being the clunk)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Eyespyautomotive

Eyespyautomotive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, hope to check this rack deal out soon. I don't have play in my wheel either but if tightening the rack takes out some slop and quiets things down I'm all over it.

On another note, I decided to check the air pressure in my tires, the last people to touch it was the tire shop when I had new tires put on, 56 psi! The door says 44 but I knocked everything down to 46 psi and wow, what a difference. The ride is much more compliant and less tense, but I can still hear that light thumping. I'm excited to check that rack.

MrHomeGuy

Reaction score
Didn't know it's called a clunk. That noise started on my 2018 at 12,000 miles. Dealer couldn't find it but promised to keep looking. I spoke with my dealer sales manager since I upgrade every two years and told him was not happy with a Ford "lemon rattle box", so he swapped it out for a 2019 (same Oxford white) and some $$$ change. Fair deal but it still cost me. New one is nice and smooth. Hope that clink does not follow me!

OP
OP
Eyespyautomotive

Eyespyautomotive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG_20190417_195933.jpg

I was wondering if the newer trucks developed this noise as well, sounds like they might. Lends more possibly that it's the rack, those probably didn't change as much as the rest.of the suspension.

I fabbed up a rack tightener, I can get it in the adjustment area of the rack and can get a wrench on it. It seems real tight. I'll have to mess with it more during the day.