Charging System Service Now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fordraptorfun

Reaction score
Anyone solve a problem similar to this?
  1. Dash alert "Charging System Service Now"
    • Red Battery icon turns on
  2. Infotainment (Sync 3) will shut off and say "System Off to Save battery....Please turn ignition off or start engine"
  3. Dash alert "Front Camera Temporarily Not Available"
  4. Engine Auto Start/Stop does not work in spite of meeting all the normal conditions required for it to work.
I tried disconnecting the Battery Monitoring Sensor by the neg battery terminal (not to be confused with the Battery Management System) and symptom 1 went away but symptoms 2-4 remain.

Dealer tells me Powertrain warranty doesn't cover the Charging System, hence the help needed.

2019 Raptor w/ 46,500 miles.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Low voltage will cause various systems to power down. Have you carefully inspected the engine compartment for any damage? Rodents are a common cause of harness issues. If no obvious damage is present, most auto parts stores will do a free charging system/battery test.

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you tested the battery and that is fine? This is a symptom of a low battery with insufficient charge.

Most batteries last about 5 years with standard usage. The life can be shortened by heavy discharges and charge cycles or by letting it completely go down. Had a friends camper battery which was drained dead multiple times degrade very fast to the point it would last 10% of what it should

OP
OP
F

fordraptorfun

Reaction score
Thanks for response.

When the auto start/stop and infotainment symptoms began i thought the same thing, so i replaced the 3 year old battery (now regretting that) . Those symptoms remained and the other two symptoms began.

So i have a new battery with voltage between 14-16 V while driving. I haven't yet checked the alternator.

OP
OP
F

fordraptorfun

Reaction score
Low voltage will cause various systems to power down. Have you carefully inspected the engine compartment for any damage? Rodents are a common cause of harness issues. If no obvious damage is present, most auto parts stores will do a free charging system/battery test.
Haven't removed the skid plate to check the alternator connections. Do you know if that can be done from above? If the alternator checks out clean then i fear it could be a harness/wire issue between the alternator, battery, battery monitoring sensor, Body Control Module (BCM), or Powertrain Control Module (PCM). My engine bay is pretty muddy and fear that something could have pinched itself or corroded.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Haven't removed the skid plate to check the alternator connections. Do you know if that can be done from above? If the alternator checks out clean then i fear it could be a harness/wire issue between the alternator, battery, battery monitoring sensor, Body Control Module (BCM), or Powertrain Control Module (PCM). My engine bay is pretty muddy and fear that something could have pinched itself or corroded.
It’s best accessed from the bottom. If you don’t find anything after a visual inspection, you’ll want to download ForScan to check for DTCs. You’ll need a compatible adapter to connect to the truck.

OP
OP
F

fordraptorfun

Reaction score
Engine off: Battery read 12.7V

Engine On
(auxiliaries and accessories off):13.2V

Both taken at the battery terminals.

Idle voltage too low? I would have thought 14.2V would be the minimum for a good alternator.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Engine off: Battery read 12.7V

Engine On
(auxiliaries and accessories off):13.2V

Both taken at the battery terminals.

Idle voltage too low? I would have thought 14.2V would be the minimum for a good alternator.
The PCM controls charging system voltage based on load; there is no set voltage. Even though it is charging above battery voltage, that doesn’t mean that there isn’t an issue. You’ll need to retrieve DTCs to find out why the Service Charging System message is appearing.

OP
OP
F

fordraptorfun

Reaction score
Update #3:

So after replacing the alternator and the battery, these symptoms and Diagnostic Troubleshooting Code (DTCs) returned...
  1. Auto Start/Stop wouldn't work and dash in the Trip/Fuel menu would just say "Engine On due to Vehicle Charging" even though the battery should have been fully charged by then.
  2. While driving, Sync 3 Infotainment would shut off and display "System off to Save Battery - Shut off Ignition or turn on Engine"
    1. Which doesn't make sense because the Engine is on and vehicle is at speed.
  3. Dash would say "Front Camera Temporarily Not Available"
  4. Rough Steering at low engine RPM.
  5. DTC U3003:17 (Battery Voltage - Circuit Voltage Above Threshold) for both the Front Controls Interface Module (FCIM) and the Image Processing Module A (IPMA).
  6. Dash fault "Charging System Service Now" with red battery icon.
  7. DTC P0563 - System Voltage High

After further troubleshooting by comparing the battery voltage to the Battery Junction Box (BJB) voltage right by the fuse box, I noticed it differed by as much as 1 V. I thought this should be exactly equal. Chased down some corrosion (very little) at the the nut shown in the picture below. This is the connection between the battery's positive terminal and the BJB. Cleaning that connection solved everything.

It's annoying that corrosion at this location would induce the symptoms and faults above. Maybe it's because the Battery Monitoring Sensor measures at the negative battery terminal, as opposed to sharing the BJB voltage.

Hope this spares others from wasting time and money on a new battery and alternator.

Attachments

• InkedIMG_7410_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_7410_LI.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 110
Last edited: