Charge System Fault: Alternator Damage from Water/Mud?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAPDREW

Reaction score
Took my 2018 Supercab off road yesterday, everything was fine until I went through a pretty big area of water (no more than 3ft high). Luckily I had the truck in Mud/Sand mode, but I did struggle a bit about halfway through the water. Was actually pretty worried at one point but it did pull through. As soon as I was out of the water it hit me with a message saying "Charging System Service Now". I looked up the message and figured it was the alternator by what people were saying online. The truck was a little squeaky after that water and the power steering felt a little funky. I drove it around a bit and decided it was too late to take it to the dealership (should have dropped it off looking back...). Ended up driving it home and my plan was to take it to the dealer first thing in the morning. It started up in the morning but right away it didn't feel right. I was about 1 or 2 miles from the dealership when it died at a red light, just after giving me a message with a wrench and also another message saying "Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power. I think this is normal when the battery is dying. This red light also has a railroad track so not the best place to break down, luckily I was about 2 cars from the track. Couldn't get it in neutral so had to open the emergency shifter bypass and put it in neutral. After 40 min of pissing off everybody that was on their way to work, Ford roadside sent someone to come jump it. We got it started and about 10 seconds after that it shut off again. Ended up having to tow it down the street to the dealership. Thinking this is mostly an electrical issue. Hopefully they figure this out in the next day or two. I'm pretty upset with myself for taking it through that water, but from what I understood these trucks are built ford tough right?! Maybe not all of them lol. I'll give an update when I hear back.

https://imgur.com/PwWvhdi

https://imgur.com/JAQCjOa

RaptorMaryland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure but from other posts here on Gen 2 raptors. https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/safe-fording-depth.56863/page-3

From the Owner's Manual per Ford:

Water

If you must drive through high water, drive slowly. Traction or brake capability may be limited.

When driving through water, determine the depth and avoid water higher than the bottom of the hubs. If the ignition system gets wet, your vehicle may stall.

Once through water, always try the brakes. Wet brakes do not stop your vehicle as effectively as dry brakes. Drying improves by applying light pressure to the brake pedal while moving slowly.

Note: Driving through deep water may damage the transmission. If the front or rear axle is submerged in water, the axle lubricant and power transfer unit lubricant should be checked and changed if necessary.

Link: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...picHRef=G1679348&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=True

OP
OP
RAPDREW

RAPDREW

Reaction score
Not sure but from other posts here on Gen 2 raptors. https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/safe-fording-depth.56863/page-3

From the Owner's Manual per Ford:

Water

If you must drive through high water, drive slowly. Traction or brake capability may be limited.

When driving through water, determine the depth and avoid water higher than the bottom of the hubs. If the ignition system gets wet, your vehicle may stall.

Once through water, always try the brakes. Wet brakes do not stop your vehicle as effectively as dry brakes. Drying improves by applying light pressure to the brake pedal while moving slowly.

Note: Driving through deep water may damage the transmission. If the front or rear axle is submerged in water, the axle lubricant and power transfer unit lubricant should be checked and changed if necessary.

Link: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...picHRef=G1679348&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=True

Thanks for the heads up. Praying there are no transmission issues but after what happened today I wouldn't be surprised if they tell me something like that. Forgot to mention in the original post that back in September my transfer-case completely blew at 13,000 miles while on highway 17 in Santa Cruz (two lane, very hilly road). Very unsafe place to breakdown. The transfer-case was fully covered by Ford. I didn't have the truck for about 10-12 days. It ran better than ever after that was replaced.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good ol 17. where did you break down there? definitely not a good place. i commuted for 9 years over the hill. and where did you go yesterday to find 3 ft of water? it rained a little bitz but not 3 ft worh

OP
OP
RAPDREW

RAPDREW

Reaction score
good ol 17. where did you break down there? definitely not a good place. i commuted for 9 years over the hill. and where did you go yesterday to find 3 ft of water? it rained a little bitz but not 3 ft worh

I was actually off roading in Sacramento yesterday. I broke down back in September on HWY 17 right before Bear Creek road exit

OP
OP
RAPDREW

RAPDREW

Reaction score
Update, got my truck back last night. They replaced the alternator and everything seems to be back to normal. There are still some noises that sound like the rear differential is slipping or making a slight thump noise when I take off from a stop. There is also a rattle coming from transmission area when it starts up but goes away when I give it a little gas. You can only hear that from outside the truck. Anyone have similar issues or any idea of what could be causing these noises?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTRaptor20