Charge for Software Update?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I brought the truck to a local deal that I have a good relationship with. They have serviced various cars I've owned over the years. (Lots of Mustangs, a Focus St, and RS) I've mostly had good experiences with them.

I purchased my Raptor last week form a non-Ford dealership, and according to the car fax it looked like it hadn't been to a Ford dealership in over a year. (Makes sense, sat on used car lot for almost 6 months.)

I brought it in to have them check the TSB for the TCU re-flash, and asked them to update all the software while it was there.

Got a call a few minutes ago the truck is done and ready to go. They updated the TCU and PCM. Service advisor said there would be a $215 shop rate charge for the work. (Allegedly 1 hour to do PCM.)

I haven't seen the paperwork yet, but it sounds like they did the TSB work, and are charging me for the PCM update.

It's been a little while since I owned a Ford (last being my 2017 RS.) But is this standard practice?

With my BMW, if I take it to the dealer for service they check the software as part of the service and update as needed.

I don't mind paying, but seems a little shady, especially since they were doing the TSB work anyway.

OP
OP
Traffic22

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I picked up the truck, and have to say, overall very happy. Dealership did the door latch recall without me having to ask. (Bonus, all 4 doors open and close just as they did before, so at least they adjusted them right.)

Advisor did charge for the PCM and TCU updates. Said the truck didn't throw any error codes (knew it wouldn't had checked it with OBD Fusion and Auto Doctor before I went.) so they couldn't do the re-flash under the TSB. Not sure that sounds right, but whatever.

I don't know if it is the placebo effect but the truck does seem to accelerate better off idle, and it definitely down shifts better on the freeway. Shifts seem a little more firm, but we'll see how it drives in a 100 miles or so when the tranny has time to "learn."

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had one dealer tell me they had to charge for the shock software update (mine is an early 19 and there was an update for the rough ride), so I went to another dealer that did it for no charge under warranty. I think you went to the wrong Stealership.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep, most certainly is.

Was there a symptom that you had for which a corresponding TSB or SSM applied and required a PCM cal update? Do you have the TSB number for the TCU?

If you just requested a PCM update with no corresponding concern or symptom, the dealer can’t bill it under warranty. In fact, dealers are directed not to update any module software unless directed to do so by a service procedure. This would be the reason they charged you.

However, $215 is an exorbitant charge for what amounts to a half hour worth of labor at most. Ford TSBs in general only pay .4 hours for a PCM update and that includes time to drive the vehicle in and out of the shop and set up IDS/FDRS. Not sure where they came up with $215, that’s ridiculous.

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
Had to pay $120 to get an update to my gen 1 back in 2011 to have it display the instrument cluster gear indicator by default at startup. Mine was built in 2010 and you had to press the +/- button on the lever at every startup to see the current gear indicator, it would always default to off.

Seemed like a bugfix and not a feature. it was cheap and "worth it", but somehow it was an expense that really bothered me. I think Ford needs to change their behavior on this. Especially because some updates improve the driving characteristics of vehicle, increase longevity of components, or otherwise significantly improve owner satisfaction. Especially going to hurt things like the Mach E, as the competition has it nailed.

OP
OP
Traffic22

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was there a symptom that you had for which a corresponding TSB or SSM applied and required a PCM cal update? Do you have the TSB number for the TCU?

If you just requested a PCM update with no corresponding concern or symptom, the dealer can’t bill it under warranty. In fact, dealers are directed not to update any module software unless directed to do so by a service procedure. This would be the reason they charged you.

However, $215 is an exorbitant charge for what amounts to a half hour worth of labor at most. Ford TSBs in general only pay .4 hours for a PCM update and that includes time to drive the vehicle in and out of the shop and set up IDS/FDRS. Not sure where they came up with $215, that’s ridiculous.

For the transmission, I advised them the 3-4 and 9-10 ***** seemed excessively firm as compared to the others. They claimed they could not replicate it, and therefore could not do the work under the TSB.

As for the PCM, there was nothing wrong, I just advised them I wanted whatever the most current software was. (My logic behind this was, if Ford feels it is important enough to revise the software, then I should probably have it in my truck.)

The $215 is the hourly shop rate for the dealership. They charged me 1 hour to do both. Although not cheap, believe it or not, in California and specifically the bay area, 215 is about right, give or take $10-15.

Thanks for the info, it is appreciated.

Had to pay $120 to get an update to my gen 1 back in 2011 to have it display the instrument cluster gear indicator by default at startup. Mine was built in 2010 and you had to press the +/- button on the lever at every startup to see the current gear indicator, it would always default to off.

Seemed like a bugfix and not a feature. it was cheap and "worth it", but somehow it was an expense that really bothered me. I think Ford needs to change their behavior on this. Especially because some updates improve the driving characteristics of vehicle, increase longevity of components, or otherwise significantly improve owner satisfaction. Especially going to hurt things like the Mach E, as the competition has it nailed.

For sure. I agree. I paid, whatever, I wanted to most current versions of software to prevent any issues, and make sure things were up to date. BMW checks and updates my M235i anytime I take it in for service. Compared to Ford dealerships, they have the customer service thing figured out.

I use to take all my Fords to this particular dealership for service. They use to provide excellent customer service, and very high quality work. Over the past several years, the quality control, and customer service have declined. (The service advisors seem more concerned about up-selling services, and their survey rating than what the customer actually needs.)

Now I take all my cars (other than the BMW) to a private mechanic who provides a lower price, excellent customer service, and very clean high quality work. The only reason BMW still goes to the dealer is because they keep everything up to date as part of normal service. (And because it is BMW, they still at least act like they care.)

Unless I have a warranty related repair, the Raptor will likely never see a dealership again.

GLT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exact same thing happened to me with the transmission TSB. My transmission has an extremely jerky shift from 1-2 or 2-3, for example when idling slowly in traffic and you hit the accelerator to speed up. It literally feels like you're getting rear-ended. They couldn't replicate the issue, and no code, so they wanted to charge me $135 to perform the work under TSB 18-2079. I said **** off. And yes, I'm under warranty. I've purchased 7 new vehicles from this Ford dealer over the past 10 years.

OP
OP
Traffic22

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exact same thing happened to me with the transmission TSB. My transmission has an extremely jerky shift from 1-2 or 2-3, for example when idling slowly in traffic and you hit the accelerator to speed up. It literally feels like you're getting rear-ended. They couldn't replicate the issue, and no code, so they wanted to charge me $135 to perform the work under TSB 18-2079. I said **** off. And yes, I'm under warranty. I've purchased 7 new vehicles from this Ford dealer over the past 10 years.

I totally get it. I understand there is a cost involved for the dealership, but once you report the problem, you would think they would just re-flash per the TSB and be done with it.