Changing gear clunk sound ( sometime) , new raptor normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike P

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a new raptor and there are too many concerns surrounding me. I noticed clunk sound ( just some time at curtain Rpm ) when the gear changing, is it normal?

thank you

coachhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 and mine has done something similar from the first time I drove it. Took it to the dealership several times and they couldn’t figure it out. Thought it was the slip yoke at first but they corrected that apparently for the 2012 model. Mine does it from a cold start and then does it much less frequently when warm. I have 150k now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

docskeet1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The transmission “learns” the way you shift/drive. Should improve with time. Will be more noticeable in Sport than Normal.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The transmission shifts oddly when it is cold. Even once it’s warmed up, it can be ‘hunting’ for the right gear sometimes and if you change throttle input while it’s implementing a change in gears, you can get some odd sounding and feeling results.

If you’ve been to Raptor Assault, it desensitizes you to this oddity somewhat because there are times when you’re gassing it hard, then off, then back to WFO, then hard braking, hard take off... you get the idea.

I don’t know how long the adaptive learning cycle takes, but over time the logic corrects to some undesirable conditions. hanging in a higher than optimal gear at all speeds. A particular pet peeve of mine is trying to take off in 3rd gear unless you’ve come a complete cessation of movement, including applying the brake. Obviously this is normal mode. I’ve also had some stubbornness in sport - wouldn’t up shift. I was steady throttle for about 2 minutes at like 4k rpms. popped into manual and fixed it.

all of this stuff is pretty rare though.

I wouldn’t worry about it - well, except don’t be sipping starbucks in sport mode.

hamster

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a '17 and it learned bad habits over time. Had right front diff boot crack so when took it in they wiped memory of the trans. Better now.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The transmission shifts oddly when it is cold. Even once it’s warmed up, it can be ‘hunting’ for the right gear sometimes and if you change throttle input while it’s implementing a change in gears, you can get some odd sounding and feeling results.

If you’ve been to Raptor Assault, it desensitizes you to this oddity somewhat because there are times when you’re gassing it hard, then off, then back to WFO, then hard braking, hard take off... you get the idea.

I don’t know how long the adaptive learning cycle takes, but over time the logic corrects to some undesirable conditions. hanging in a higher than optimal gear at all speeds. A particular pet peeve of mine is trying to take off in 3rd gear unless you’ve come a complete cessation of movement, including applying the brake. Obviously this is normal mode. I’ve also had some stubbornness in sport - wouldn’t up shift. I was steady throttle for about 2 minutes at like 4k rpms. popped into manual and fixed it.

all of this stuff is pretty rare though.

I wouldn’t worry about it - well, except don’t be sipping starbucks in sport mode.

I’ve definitely noticed it clunks between shifts if you happen to be lifting throttle as it’s shifting/skipping gears. Sport mode is so rough I mostly don’t use it.

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't noticed anything unusual in mine. Sport mode...as others have said does shift firmly...BUT IT"S SUPPOSED TO!! Sometimes it's hard to discern real issues from imagined ones regarding the transmission. People complain about things are are either desirable or normal sometimes. I'd ask the dealer about your specific situation. I don't trust many opinions on here about the transmission. The truck and especially the transmission is more sophisticated than most of the drivers and their preconceived ideas about how it's supposed to work. Having said that It's always possible something is amiss...it happens...and the dealer is your best bet to determine normalcy. Don't delay getting input from the dealer because if something is actually wrong you don't want to let it go until it causes real damage. I suspect though that what you experiencing...again as others have stated...is normal learning of the transmission.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I haven't noticed anything unusual in mine. Sport mode...as others have said does shift firmly...BUT IT"S SUPPOSED TO!! Sometimes it's hard to discern real issues from imagined ones regarding the transmission. People complain about things are are either desirable or normal sometimes. I'd ask the dealer about your specific situation. I don't trust many opinions on here about the transmission. The truck and especially the transmission is more sophisticated than most of the drivers and their preconceived ideas about how it's supposed to work. Having said that It's always possible something is amiss...it happens...and the dealer is your best bet to determine normalcy. Don't delay getting input from the dealer because if something is actually wrong you don't want to let it go until it causes real damage. I suspect though that what you experiencing...again as others have stated...is normal learning of the transmission.

Sounds like you have a good one, or have driving habits that don't trigger some crazy shit as the transmission learns.

I can assure you some of the Sport shifting issues are not perceived, it is fact. Mine would absolutely slam into only 5th gear during normal driving in sport. Had it re-flashed and all was well for several months. Started slamming into 5th again and got a super lazy shift into 8th (in regular and sport) again. I let it go for a while then forced the shifting re-learn, using Forscan, all better.

Other issue was slamming into Drive after backing up. Also fixed with the re-learn.

Anyhow, you shouldn't discount it because your truck doesn't do it. The struggle is real.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Sport mode...as others have said does shift firmly...BUT IT"S SUPPOSED TO!! Sometimes it's hard to discern real issues from imagined ones regarding the transmission. People complain about things are are either desirable or normal sometimes.

I can assure you some of the Sport shifting issues are not perceived, it is fact. Mine would absolutely slam into only 5th gear during normal driving in sport. Had it re-flashed and all was well for several months. Started slamming into 5th again and got a super lazy shift into 8th (in regular and sport) again. I let it go for a while then forced the shifting re-learn, using Forscan, all better.

Although I agree sport should be a firm shift, and not dawdle between gears I think a lot of people who came here from the various other vehicles have different perceptions of what’s a good shift and what’s not. Ford is probably going nuts figuring out what to do when some latte sipping, primarily bmw ute driver whines about sport mode shifting too harshly, causing them to spill their almond milk latte all over their blouse or tie. The service manager has to be thinking to themselves... “Really?”

That said, there have been legit shifting issues and some, few hard part failures. 99% IMO are programatic though.

Honestly, we should all just have a periodic transmission relearn flash sent to the truck. I think I could go 6 months, but scheduling it would be nice. Quarterly for some of us maybe?

How do you force the relearn with forscan?