Changed Front Diff Fluid Today!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree, lesson learned!! I did it the first time myself but was unable to get the cover completely out of the vehicle which made it hard for me to clean all the silicone off the surfaces and thought I would see if the dealer could remove cover easily from the vehicle after it was unbolted so I could learn the secret of removing it easily, but they couldn't remove it without the extra work involved. I'm not sure how everyone else is getting their's out of the vehicle. Any input with help would be appreciated for future fluid changes on the front diff.
Thanks

Once you get all the bolts out and the fluid dropped, you will need to slightly lift the cover and angle it around the gear to remove. It's not easy, but far from impossible. It is trickier reinstalling it with the silicon on the cover, but again go slow. Kinda like that game 'Operation'. lol. Just have to maneuver it around the obstacles. Get the top bolt in first and work your way around.

Good luck!!!

1pyeman

Reaction score
Hi, just completed front diff oil change today. To put an answer to getting the cover out:
Once all undone and gently prized off to break silicon gasket, rotate about 20 clockwise (looking from front) and then slide the bottom down and away from you with a curved descent path. Took me a few goes to find sweet spot, but thought it was impossible before finding the one path through.

Reaction score
Are you sure that it needs 75W140? In my manual Ford raptor 2014 it says 80W90.
Or did i just destroyed my front diff by driving it 10000km on the wrong oil?

Buzzard2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really need to do mine, 80K miles, rear and TC have been done. I was able to do the plugs with out much trouble I am thinking I should be able to handle this as well.

ezndo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really need to do mine, 80K miles, rear and TC have been done. I was able to do the plugs with out much trouble I am thinking I should be able to handle this as well.

Zactly my deal as well. Next up is the front diff, just worried I won’t be able to remove the cover using the pathway described above. Might need some liquid encouragement first.....

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2014 F-150 SVT Raptor Supplement: Front axle lubricant(4) Motorcraft SAE 80W-90, (4) Add 118 ml (4 fluid oz.) of Additive Friction Modifier XL-3 (US) / CXL-3 (Canada) or equivalent meeting Ford specification EST-M2C118-A for a complete refill of Torsen™ limited slip differential front axles.