Changed Front Diff Fluid Today!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TargetBow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought this would be fairly easy but once I unbolted the front cover and let the fluid drain out, I was unable to remove the cover from the vehicle. I spent hours trying to get it past the steering parts located in front of the front diff. I tried jacking up the vehicle, lowering the vehicle but all efforts were worthless. The cover would move but would get stuck between the steering parts and the ring gear, it would try to wedge itself in between the two.:mad3:
Finally I stopped trying to get it off and just cleaned it up the best I could and put silicone on the mating surface and bolted everything back up and put Amsoil Severe Gear® 75W-140 in the diff per Chris's recommendation.

The next time I want to change the front diff fluid I will take it to the :worthy: dealer unless someone on this forum has any pointers for me.

I looked on the forum for answers by searching but the only thread I could find was this one.http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f7/1500-mile-break-service-13373/
which said it was possible to get off, but I just couldn't get it.

The only water the vehicle ever sees is on the road on rainy days, I never had it in deep water and still have the same issue with factory fluid looking milky and grayish.

sdbdom0t3msvfr35qsnp.jpg

And

Last edited:

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did mine before the snowball. The cover slid right off. Think I had to move it to the right or left. The fluid in mine looked the same. Seems the additive they add to the fluid may cause this, the rear was the same. Seems others have had the same color fluid. jy7yqyje.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
haven't done the front but i know on the rear the fluid that came out was pretty much chocolate milk. light brown and had the consistency of water haha but now that i have the mad-hytec cover i always check the fluid level and what it looks like. i also added a few feet to the axle breather tube and tucked it up between the bed and the cab out of the way so no more water gets in.

Raptor_Kx250

Reaction score
I did mine a few weeks back and it was grey milky as well, it had some water in it as it was slushy lol, I to had ran into the same problem with not being able to get the cover down, I ended up taking the two bolts holding the steering gear in place out and then was able to move it enough to get clearance to get cover down.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The ford diff up front will always have that grey modifier in it and the nasty smell. Has to do with the Diff used in the front, you will also see it on the mustangs and I really do hate the smell.. I am guessing since the rear uses a locker it does not need the same friction modifier.

Stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haven't done the front but i know on the rear the fluid that came out was pretty much chocolate milk. light brown and had the consistency of water haha but now that i have the mad-hytec cover i always check the fluid level and what it looks like. i also added a few feet to the axle breather tube and tucked it up between the bed and the cab out of the way so no more water gets in.

I highlighted this because it is the smart thing to do ~ :waytogo: :High 5:

OP
OP
TargetBow

TargetBow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ford diff up front will always have that grey modifier in it and the nasty smell. Has to do with the Diff used in the front, you will also see it on the mustangs and I really do hate the smell.. I am guessing since the rear uses a locker it does not need the same friction modifier.

I didn't put any modifier in the diff because the service manual doesn't call for any. Please let me know if this is incorrect and if I should have added some type of modifier to the fluid. Thanks!

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What year is yours? I think it was 12+ that they put the T2 Torsen Diff in the front and it should not require Friction Modifier but I am sure ford just uses the same gear oil as on the units with clutch pack diffs. I normally go with Royal Purple Max for my fluid which has it included in it already but does not require it, but also does not hurt it.

The T2 uses gears which is why it would not require it.