Ceramic Coating Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First post here. I’ve had a 2019 for about two years now. MPT tuned but otherwise stock.

I’ve finally decided to do the exhaust, hopefully the right way the first time. I’m going with SPD stainless downpipes and the equal length resonator delete. Both on order and hoping to receive in the next couple of weeks (fingers crossed). I’m leaving the muffler stock for the time being.

Is it worth spending the $500 to ceramic coat both? I’m in the Northeast, so salt is an issue. I realize stainless doesn’t rust much, but it does still rusts some. Will the ceramic coating just get chipped by rocks? Will chipped ceramic coating look worse that stainless with a little bit of rust in a couple of years?

In addition, the stock downpipe is crazy rusted, particularly the clamps, one of which I still haven’t gotten loose yet. I also ordered stainless exhaust clamps to hopefully avoid this issue in the future. I just can’t stand the thought of corroded mild steel clamps on new stainless steel.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Welcome! Pictures or you are driving a prius.

Ceramic coating is embedded into the metal. I ran it on my R1 for over 10 years and still looked new. You thinking just as a clear protection?

OP
OP
J

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually the high temp stuff is black, although it can be done any color. Here is a link to what I was talking about.

Why Ceramic Coat Exhaust Parts

Jet-Hot is just one brand. There are others out there. You see a lot of down pipes on German cars ceramic coated in order to keep the temperatures lower in the engine bay. It is different than the ceramic coating that is typically done to your car’s paint. It looks sharp, but I don’t know about the longevity if it is constantly getting pinged with rocks.

Not much of a Prius man. My other cars are a GLC63 AMG and a 1986 Mustang GT project car. Here is a good shot of the Raptor for you. Taken in an old marble quarry close to my home in Vermont. I’ll take some shots of the exhaust once I get it installed.
985BA493-4BC0-457D-8D3F-D093AEBAF498.jpeg

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Yes, we are talking about the same thing. I was not talking about the stuff you put on your paint. Not that new to cars.

I ceramic coated a tons of parts on my R1, as you can see. Exhaust, levers, bolts, etc. And will be doing it to my front mount Intercooler.

user3387_pic1980_1256629789.jpg

OP
OP
J

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is the stuff. That bike looks great! Waiting for someone to ceramic coat their turbos orange to match their shocks. If I end up getting the Garretts I’m inclined to try it. Would look good peeking out from behind the fender liners.