Ceramic coat the GEN3? What brand.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G-Train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my just ceramic car, the rock chips bugged me and the paint still swirled up after a dealer wash.. So I always felt the $1100 was a waste.

Not sure how crazy I’ll get with PPF on the gen 3, but figure $2500 could get some decent coverage (partial front hood & fenders, bed side, rockers). Wish I had a small enough ride to do full PPF and not worry about swirl jobs.
When you get it you will see there are not many areas to get film on. I can’t spend days washing it so the ceramic coating will help. I am really more interested in the ceramic tint.

Farva5803

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm definitely interested in how the Antimatter Blue would look with the XPel Stealth. I may have to fork over more of my deployment money than I want to get the whole thing wrapped, but I don't want door dings (living in Northern VA and probably driving into DC at times). I've read on other posts here that the ceramic coating on top of the XPel PPF degrades it- any validity to that?

njspor82

Reaction score
I paint corrected and ceramic coated my 2015 lariat, they had to do 3 stages of correction but wow what a difference. She has 100k miles on her now and still looks brand new. Cant wait for my Gen3 to show up.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 12.05.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 12.05.41 PM.png
    392.6 KB · Views: 53

OEMPlus Raptor

OEM preferred....
Reaction score
I've applied ceramic coating myself. I'm sort of a detailing nerd and its a hobby of mine. Paint correction to me is the most important part, applying the actual ceramic coat is not hard, but you do have to be cautious of what your doing. For me I like CarPro CQuartz or Gtechniq. Here are some pictures of the last two vehicles I did. Ceramic Coats can last a long time if you properly care for your vehicle. IMG_20210501_183445.jpgIMG_20210627_104015.jpg

Raptor R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My sports cars are coated in Opti-Coat pro plus and the paint is flawless. My buddy owns a wrap/paint detailing company and I will be going with a full paint correction, XPEL and then opti-coat pro plus to seal it up.

alex9536593

Reaction score
I’ve had it professionally done on my last two vehicles (gen 2 included). I’m not ceramic coating my gen 3 - instead going to do clear bra / PPF on key areas. Much rather protect against scratches than just ease of cleaning.
I spoke to my local shop about this.. I was going to ceramic coat then PPF(Xpel). He suggested to have the ceramic coating applied to the PPF. I honestly didnt even know that was possible. Cant wait for my Gen3 to show up.

Heinz

Reaction score
I've applied ceramic coating myself. I'm sort of a detailing nerd and its a hobby of mine. Paint correction to me is the most important part, applying the actual ceramic coat is not hard, but you do have to be cautious of what your doing. For me I like CarPro CQuartz or Gtechniq. Here are some pictures of the last two vehicles I did. Ceramic Coats can last a long time if you properly care for your vehicle. View attachment 312538View attachment 312539
This. If you enjoy detailing cars as a hobby, ceramic coating is no big deal to do yourself. If you know you’ll hate spending a bunch of time in the garage, you’ll end up rushing and would be better off just getting it done professionally. It’s important to have really good lighting (and a flashlight) so you can see any high spots in the coating as you buff it, and have three or four micro fiber towels to cycle through. Lots of YouTube videos out there.

I’m also a fan of CarPro CQuartz as a DIY coating.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve had it professionally done on my last two vehicles (gen 2 included). I’m not ceramic coating my gen 3 - instead going to do clear bra / PPF on key areas. Much rather protect against scratches than just ease of cleaning.

i contemplated doing more extensive PPf on my new 2020 raptor but I was so disheartened by having my 2018 raptor totaled & realizing all that extra effort/mod money can go up in smoke (granted you can claw it back & then some w/ receipts etc depending on ins.) - just not sure it’s worth it given the cost