CEO of Dodge announces muscle transition from gas to electric.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drtibrd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can’t wait to see a Cop EV Charger make it through an 8 hr shift without taking a crap.
There is lies the rub. ICE cannot go away without an exponential improvement in capacity. Heck, the platinum lightning can only pull a 19ft camper 96 miles before the battery is depleted. Police, Fire, Emergency by nature of their business cannot align to a pattern of going on calls only to serve areas where they can “plug in” while in duty. Retrofit all fire hydrants with 400amp superchargers? Coupled with the fact that on the planet today is only 34% of the needed copper to wind stators by the goals of the big 3 in 2030 for EV units. Just doesn’t add up.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Even in 20-30 years, if we are "full" EV by then, it will only be due to government mandates and taxing ICE out of existence. There is no conceivable way at this point in time that it would make more sense from an energy standpoint.

I think there's going to be a point where the media starts dumping on EV tech for how all the battery mining is destroying the earth, using child labor, and generally messing up geopolitics. We'll be knee deep in it all by then, but ICE engines won't fully go away, not until there is EV tech that is vastly superior to ICE....I mean on the scale of horse vs steam engine.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is lies the rub. ICE cannot go away without an exponential improvement in capacity. Heck, the platinum lightning can only pull a 19ft camper 96 miles before the battery is depleted. Police, Fire, Emergency by nature of their business cannot align to a pattern of going on calls only to serve areas where they can “plug in” while in duty. Retrofit all fire hydrants with 400amp superchargers? Coupled with the fact that on the planet today is only 34% of the needed copper to wind stators by the goals of the big 3 in 2030 for EV units. Just doesn’t add up.

On the contrary, I think there is some room for EVs in Police/Fire/Emergency. For the most part, they are not expected to travel long distances, and EVs are better when expectation is that they'll sit idle much of the time. The weight for Fire and Emergency may be the bigger issue. I'm not saying a full replacement with EV, just that it makes some sense for some beat cops to use EVs.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
On the contrary, I think there is some room for EVs in Police/Fire/Emergency. For the most part, they are not expected to travel long distances, and EVs are better when expectation is that they'll sit idle much of the time. The weight for Fire and Emergency may be the bigger issue. I'm not saying a full replacement with EV, just that it makes some sense for some beat cops to use EVs.

I drive my boo boo bus all over the place. Fairly big response area. Sometimes driving code for 40 minutes just to get there. I just don't see any first responder vehicle being all electric within the next 20 years. Elon would need a big breakthrough first.