Center Diff Issues Anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got my truck back today. It was diagnosed with a failed center diff. Replaced with a new unit, not repaired. Dealer was great about it. The service manager actually apologized because the tech got shop dirt on my sidestep, but I had asked them not to wash it because of my ceramic coating. I told him I wanted a new sidestep since they got it a little dirty!! :Big Laugh: I'm really glad I have a great service department here. Gilboy Ford in Whitehall, PA.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I got my truck back today. It was diagnosed with a failed center diff. Replaced with a new unit, not repaired. Dealer was great about it. The service manager actually apologized because the tech got shop dirt on my sidestep, but I had asked them not to wash it because of my ceramic coating. I told him I wanted a new sidestep since they got it a little dirty!! :Big Laugh: I'm really glad I have a great service department here. Gilboy Ford in Whitehall, PA.

Outstanding. Look out Starbucks, he's back!

fordfreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't studied the transfer case in these trucks at all. So there's a differential in the transfer case? I thought they used clutches for auto 4x4 and then had a specific device that locked it in the other 4x4 selections. His complaint of binding in turns sounded like a limited slip rear differential problem.

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I haven't studied the transfer case in these trucks at all. So there's a differential in the transfer case? I thought they used clutches for auto 4x4 and then had a specific device that locked it in the other 4x4 selections. His complaint of binding in turns sounded like a limited slip rear differential problem.
I should have said transfer case. I'm used to calling it a center differential, which is actually incorrect. The tech said it was full of metal fragments. That's never good!

fordfreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should have said transfer case. I'm used to calling it a center differential, which is actually incorrect. The tech said it was full of metal fragments. That's never good!
Gotcha. Glad to hear it was fixed. Nice having a dealership you can depend on. The dealership I deal with is good also.

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I thought I would update this thread in case someone else runs into this. It turns out I had 2 separate issues. The transfer case was replaced. That solved the really scary grinding/banging noises. After driving it a bit I found it still had the binding/crabbing at the front wheels at times when turning hard in tight areas. Took it back in. They replaced the IWE check valve as it seems that was just starting to go. I even have a spare one under my back seat, but I didn't think that was the issue.

Now it feels awesome again. :driver: