Center Diff Issues Anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This was a done on 2013 - 2018 F150/expeditions, but I don’t think it included Raptors.

• Note: The new TCCM calibration changes IWE operation at start up. When ambient temperature is above 0°C (32°F) the IWEs stay engaged regardless of a 4WD mode selection for approximately 0.8 km (0.5 miles). IWE engagement only occurs once per key cycle and is not reset when shifting between PARK and DRIVE. The TCCM uses this strategy to delay vacuum use until vacuum-intensive engine startup has completed and sufficient vacuum is available to fully disengage IWEs.
This was my first thought. That info applies to 2013-2018 models that had the new TCCM calibration installed, including Raptor. All 2019+ models have that same strategy from the factory, so no updates are needed.

With the IWEs engaged on every key cycle, both front axles, the differential, and the front driveshaft will be rotating. I rarely ever back out of a parking spot, so I can’t say whether mine does the same thing. It sounds like you’re most likely feeling the Torsen differential though.

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This was my first thought. That info applies to 2013-2018 models that had the new TCCM calibration installed, including Raptor. All 2019+ models have that same strategy from the factory, so no updates are needed.

With the IWEs engaged on every key cycle, both front axles, the differential, and the front driveshaft will be rotating. I rarely ever back out of a parking spot, so I can’t say whether mine does the same thing. It sounds like you’re most likely feeling the Torsen differential though.
The grinding and bang when I tried to drive a short distance at low speed in 4 LO was what really shocked me.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This has happened in my 14', it sounded as if the transfer case was destroying itself. I thought shifting into 4H every now and then would keep things working, fast forward a few years and the need to use 4L. This was met with grind, rev, grind, bang and finally in 4L, drove forward a little ways and stopped shifted to neutral moved the selector back to 4H but it did not shift right away but I was able to get it back into 2H. I drove to a field where I could repeat until things were working smooth once again. Changed the T-case fluid and continue to fully exercise the T-case every month or two by getting it in the dirt and putting it in 4L. Good luck with your repair.

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I went out and tried it again and 4 LO is done. It takes a bit, and then drops in with a bang as if the engine was at a very fast idle when it shifted. If you drive for a few seconds, it makes a grinding noise and seems to slip out of gear. At least it still works good in 2 HI and 4 Auto until the dealer can get it in. I hope whatever parts are needed are available.

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Took my truck to the dealer today. The tech that went out with me said the clutches in the rear axle are shot. He said he just fixed another one. It feels just like crabbing you get in 4 wheel drive, but only about 1/3 of that severity. It doesn't chirp or anything. I only have 10,000 miles, but crap happens. He wasn't sure what the grinding and bang is from, when you drive it a short distance in 4 LO. At first he was thinking AWE, but it is the opposite of the normal issue, because it acts up when it is IN 4 X 4. At speed in a straight line in 2 HI, it still is great, no issues. I'm really curious what all they find. I just hope it's not forever to get parts. I'll keep you posted.

Is this where I should start posting about what a junk truck it is and how I should have bought a T U R D? I know FTO is a huge fan of them.

Last edited:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Took my truck to the dealer today. The tech that went out with me said the clutches in the rear axle are shot. He said he just fixed another one. It feels just like crabbing you get in 4 wheel drive, but only about 1/3 of that severity. It doesn't chirp or anything. I only have 10,000 miles, but crap happens. He wasn't sure what the grinding and bang is from, when you drive it a short distance in 4 LO. At first he was thinking AWE, but it is the opposite of the normal issue, because it acts up when it is IN 4 X 4. At speed in a straight line in 2 HI, it still is great, no issues. I'm really curious what all they find. I just hope it's not forever to get parts. I'll keep you posted.

Is this where I should start posting about what a junk truck it is and how I should have bought a ****? I know FTO is a huge fan of them.
T U R D?? Are you under warranty still?

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
T U R D?? Are you under warranty still?
A big giant yes to being under warranty, thankfully! I have another full year of the standard warranty, and then 5 more of the Ford ESP with keys, lights coverage, all that good stuff. I knew I loved this truck and it would be a keeper, so I got the longest warranty I could.

I can't believe the site blocked T U R D!

Last edited: