Center Channels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Harrington

Reaction score
For those that have upgraded the BO center channel, what did you go with and what type power are you running? Is it a bi amped coax speaker or are you using single channel with passive crossover network?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure its the same as the previous Sony system; it’s not a true center channel and I believe ... @goblues38 ... we pitched the center channel in the upgrade because it just muddies up the sound stage. Something along the lines of it just sends signal from both front speakers into that center speaker. I’ll defer to the more enthusiastic audiophiles for the proper description, but I will say that once completed with a good set of tweets, door speakers and such, it sounds worlds better.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
lose the center channel....100% not needed. Properly set up separates image the center fine.

cheap stereo systems add a center channel as a crutch to try and fix a crappy designed system

OP
OP
J

John Harrington

Reaction score
I don't believe it's a waste at all if implemented correctly. I will be using the Helix DSP Ultra which has the Real Center. The intent is to have a tune preset saved that sound great for both driver an passenger for which the center channel help pin the center image down solidly for both front occupants.

Below is a description of the Algorithm.

"The “RealCenter” feature is an algorithm, developed by Audiotec Fischer, that emphasizes the music information which is present in both the left and right front channel to create an unique center signal. In contrast to common procedures, in which only the channels are summed up, the intensity of the center signal is also dynamically controlled by the stereophonic informational content of the left and right channel.
Sounds complicated but this effect is astonishing: That means if solely the left or right channel delivers an audio signal, the center channel will not reproduce a signal. In the case of common algorithms, the volume level of the center channel is only reduced by 6 dB (= half volume level). Audiotec Fischer’s “RealCenter” allows a unique, broadened sound staging for both driver and co-driver at the same time! Therefore, the disadvantages of a conventional center channel, such as an intrusive, small sound stage, are things of the past."

Last edited: