Center channel dash speaker?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rickoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused. The speaker in the dash tray doesn't seem to add anything to the sound in the truck? At first, I wondered if it was even working. I'm still not sure. As close as I can get my head to it, I can't really hear it.

The reason I ask is I'm thinking of using it for my ICOM radio. It appears to be 6 ohms. I think the ICOM looks for an 8 ohm speaker. Will that be a problem? I can see a capacitor on the speaker. I'm assuming that's to limit the frequency the speaker will produce?

Any suggestions on using or NOT using it for the ICOM?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the center channel speaker, in my eyes, is useless. but i think its a 4 ohm speaker. i will need to double check later. right now my center channel speaker and tray are at lockheed. but the best way to do it would be to use a high to low converter to convert the icom speaker signal to a low voltage signal and then run it to a small amplifier. this way there is no ohm issue. it was my original plan to do this same thing, but now i have plans for something else

OP
OP
Rickoo

Rickoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

I put a meter on the speaker and it showed 6.1 ohms. Couldn't see any ohm rating on the speaker.

Care to link me to a "high to low converter" and a "small amplifier" that would work well?

Steve-O

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Leave it to Noah to make (what seems like) a simple project turn into adding crazy electronics and converters and hyperflashvoltagerectifierthings. I'm curious to see how this turns out. I wanna use that speaker for the same thing. Seems like the perfect location for a icom speaker.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Rickoo

Rickoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've been reading, an 8 ohm speaker will read about 6 ohms with a meter. So, it appears the dash speaker is 8 ohms. I may just connect the ICOM to the speaker and see what happens.

Raw Horsepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the center channel speaker, in my eyes, is useless. but i think its a 4 ohm speaker. i will need to double check later. right now my center channel speaker and tray are at lockheed. but the best way to do it would be to use a high to low converter to convert the icom speaker signal to a low voltage signal and then run it to a small amplifier. this way there is no ohm issue. it was my original plan to do this same thing, but now i have plans for something else

I was at Lockheed all day today and the only center channel speaker was in my truck. Although I'm 5-6 hours South of you. It would be nice if the Icom will work with it.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its at lockheed here in mountain view for a special project.

the icom speaker is substantially smaller than the center speaker so having an amp to power it will allow 2 things.

1) lower frequency response. this will allow for better sound to play through it. i always have the issue of not understanding people at times because the speaker on the icom is too high pitched.

2) sending the right amount of power will create less distortion at higher volumes. so you can have the volume high enough to be heard over the noises you get while offroading.

---------- Post added 04-25-2014 at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was 04-24-2014 at 11:57 PM ----------

From what I've been reading, an 8 ohm speaker will read about 6 ohms with a meter. So, it appears the dash speaker is 8 ohms. I may just connect the ICOM to the speaker and see what happens.
it should never be at 6 ohms, unless its a 6 ohm speaker. and 8 ohm can sometimes read 7ohms due to the (+/-) threshold.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My tyt is connected to the center speaker. Originally had a dpdt switch to alternate. Between stock radio and VHF. VHF worked fine but no music. Pulled the speaker out and connected the plug back in and the music started flowing. Said screw it, I'll leave it as a VHF speaker.

Hole Shot

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can't really use that tray for anything anyways. Just make one big grill and install another speaker or set of speakers with or without amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My tyt is connected to the center speaker. Originally had a dpdt switch to alternate. Between stock radio and VHF. VHF worked fine but no music. Pulled the speaker out and connected the plug back in and the music started flowing. Said screw it, I'll leave it as a VHF speaker.

Did you write this up in your build thread? Do you still get sound out of the tyt radio?

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com