Cell Phone Mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Todd Turbo S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was contacted by Course Motorsports through this Forum to install and review their “Direct Fit Magnetic Phone Mount” for the F-150/Ford Raptor. Like several that have posted, I definitely did not like the obtrusive and clunky (someone said “ugly”) appearance of the ProClip. While I toyed with the idea of the Builtright/67d combo, I also did not like the very obtrusive look of that either. I personally wanted something more streamlined that would be of little notice without the phone and that wouldn’t mount directly to the vent. I’ve been on several of these forums but without finding the right “thing”. I suspect that is why they contacted me.

I also have been wary of the magnetic mounts because they usually preclude using the Qi charging capability, but since I was being sent this mount for free, I thought it would be worth a try. Here is a link the the website which also includes an install video:

https://coursemotorsports.com/collections/ford/products/ford-direct-fit-magnetic-phone-mount

Initially, I wanted to make sure I could use the Qi charging capability of my iPhone. The package comes with 2 options for placing a self-adhesive magnet on the back of the phone, a larger rectangular plate and a smaller circular plate. I taped each in various locations to the back of the phone and tested them on my Qi charger. I could never get the larger rectangular plate to work so went with the circular plate which had to be mounted a little higher on the back of the phone so it wouldn’t interfere with Qi charging. I recommend taping this to your phone and testing on your Qi charger before permanently attaching. See pics:

View attachment 156040 View attachment 156041

Next, installation was fairly straightforward. I’m a one wrencher at best so I believe almost anyone on this forum could accomplish install in 45 minutes or less. It required removal of the dash speaker cover, underlying speaker tray, and then the radio surround. The video shows detaching the speaker which you don’t need to do, there’s enough slack to just set it aside. I didn’t even completely remove the radio surround, just detached the top and middle and then placed a rolled up towel in between the surround and the dash to give me enough room to get to the mounting screw.

The mount is secure, unobtrusive and my phone sits firmly on the mount without significant rattle. The OP noted his rattled; mine is not noticeable though this could be due to differences in phone covers or possibly, the metal plate being placed higher on my phone may have helped. My cover I’d consider is average thickness.

Here is the final product:

View attachment 156042 View attachment 156043 View attachment 156044

I am definitely going to be using this mount as it fits all my criteria: Nice looking and Unobtrusive, minimal blocking of vent and does not preclude Qi charging. Your criteria may differ. I did not need a charging station because I plug in for Apple CarPlay anyway (and not convinced by these forums the wireless unit - carplay2air - they sell hooks up reliably enough for me to go that route). I certainly endorse it. At $45, it seems of average price, perhaps a little high for what you get in materials, but I wouldn’t hesitate to buy it for that amount because it is literally the perfect mount for me. You’re paying for a well engineered (albeit, simple), secure mount that blends in perfectly with the matte black of your dash.

Disclosure: As mentioned above, this was sent to me for free for review (no other incentives)
Thanks for the write up. Quick question. When you mount the adhesive magnet to the back of the iPhone, can you then put an iPhone case back on over the magnet and the magnet will work through the iPhone case? Mine happens to be an Apple iPhone case

Last edited:

Troutrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is exactly what I did as you can see in the photos. The circular plate is mounted directly to the iPhone and then the cover is placed. Just mount the circular plate initially with some tape and play with locations which will allow Qi charging to work prior to placing it on “permanently”.

Caleb Sousley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for a functional, clean and simple way to mount my iPhone since picking up my 2020 6 weeks ago. I dismissed the Proclip and Builtright dash mounts since I wanted to keep the stock appearance as best I can. My research lead me to Corse Motorsport:

https://coursemotorsports.com/products/ford-direct-fit-magnetic-phone-mount

The Good: It met my criteria and is by far the most elegant way I found to mount a cell phone in a Gen 2. Installation was straightforward and the placement and height of the phone when mounted (via a magnet) is perfect for me. And when the phone isn't attached, the mount sort of disappears.

The Not-So-Good: The phone vibrates slightly, even when the truck is idling. It's not bad -- it's just somewhat annoying since everything else inside the cabin is rock solid. The only way I've found to decrease it is by tilting the phone down as low as possible so the bottom is in contact with the dash.

I contacted Course Motorsports for a solution (excellent customer service BTW) and they said to make sure the mount is against the dash, which mine is. With that said and even though I have somewhat mixed feelings about this product, I'll keep it until something better comes along.

YMMV.

View attachment 145234 View attachment 145235 View attachment 145236
I have a iPhone 12 Pro and used a base proclip mount then found a strong enough magnet that doubles as a charger to hold it up by itself with the new Magsafe features.

Caleb Sousley

Full Access Member
Reaction score

CMSearle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is exactly what I did as you can see in the photos. The circular plate is mounted directly to the iPhone and then the cover is placed. Just mount the circular plate initially with some tape and play with locations which will allow Qi charging to work prior to placing it on “permanently”.
Stumbled upon this while searching for a phone mounting solution. I currently have a magnetic vent mount and my phone case has metal built into it to mount to my matching mount.

Do you think a case with built in metal would attach without the extra piece/have you tested any other such cases that do not use the supplied plate?

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
After a long search I finally found a clean solution that doesn’t use some el cheapo Chinese mount from Amazon. After some searching I found a company called Offroam. They are a husband and wife team that build all their stuff in house. Very high quality and great communication and customer service. Mount is solid and phone isn’t going anywhere.

E568B8C7-C50D-4174-9DA6-F2B5D2FE5B64.jpeg5154D80B-C01A-40A4-9F97-7B7BF008B0B8.jpeg