Cell Phone Mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Troutrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was contacted by Course Motorsports through this Forum to install and review their “Direct Fit Magnetic Phone Mount” for the F-150/Ford Raptor. Like several that have posted, I definitely did not like the obtrusive and clunky (someone said “ugly”) appearance of the ProClip. While I toyed with the idea of the Builtright/67d combo, I also did not like the very obtrusive look of that either. I personally wanted something more streamlined that would be of little notice without the phone and that wouldn’t mount directly to the vent. I’ve been on several of these forums but without finding the right “thing”. I suspect that is why they contacted me.

I also have been wary of the magnetic mounts because they usually preclude using the Qi charging capability, but since I was being sent this mount for free, I thought it would be worth a try. Here is a link the the website which also includes an install video:

https://coursemotorsports.com/collections/ford/products/ford-direct-fit-magnetic-phone-mount

Initially, I wanted to make sure I could use the Qi charging capability of my iPhone. The package comes with 2 options for placing a self-adhesive magnet on the back of the phone, a larger rectangular plate and a smaller circular plate. I taped each in various locations to the back of the phone and tested them on my Qi charger. I could never get the larger rectangular plate to work so went with the circular plate which had to be mounted a little higher on the back of the phone so it wouldn’t interfere with Qi charging. I recommend taping this to your phone and testing on your Qi charger before permanently attaching. See pics:

1DD7B953-DDD9-42CD-A548-7D03438A7925.jpeg D473B98B-B1B9-48D8-A952-6EEA8B711E55.jpeg

Next, installation was fairly straightforward. I’m a one wrencher at best so I believe almost anyone on this forum could accomplish install in 45 minutes or less. It required removal of the dash speaker cover, underlying speaker tray, and then the radio surround. The video shows detaching the speaker which you don’t need to do, there’s enough slack to just set it aside. I didn’t even completely remove the radio surround, just detached the top and middle and then placed a rolled up towel in between the surround and the dash to give me enough room to get to the mounting screw.

The mount is secure, unobtrusive and my phone sits firmly on the mount without significant rattle. The OP noted his rattled; mine is not noticeable though this could be due to differences in phone covers or possibly, the metal plate being placed higher on my phone may have helped. My cover I’d consider is average thickness.

Here is the final product:

492E79F6-3E2D-4F63-8088-217113FE4686.jpeg A083CC39-BD35-487A-B7B1-B13F0D7F47CB.jpeg A9A42511-0AA6-453A-B249-2F6C9F763A13.jpeg

I am definitely going to be using this mount as it fits all my criteria: Nice looking and Unobtrusive, minimal blocking of vent and does not preclude Qi charging. Your criteria may differ. I did not need a charging station because I plug in for Apple CarPlay anyway (and not convinced by these forums the wireless unit - carplay2air - they sell hooks up reliably enough for me to go that route). I certainly endorse it. At $45, it seems of average price, perhaps a little high for what you get in materials, but I wouldn’t hesitate to buy it for that amount because it is literally the perfect mount for me. You’re paying for a well engineered (albeit, simple), secure mount that blends in perfectly with the matte black of your dash.

Disclosure: As mentioned above, this was sent to me for free for review (no other incentives)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12951

That looks very similar to the Mob Armor Pro 90 without having to take apart the center dash

8ecacccae8adfc6babdfb7694a3261ec.jpg
bdcd91df6044a6804229d72a074beaf5.jpg

D

Deleted member 12951

For wireless charging, I moved the metal plate down on the back of the phone so it wasn’t in the way

Troutrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
armoredveh,

I would assume that you can no longer wirelessly charge your phone anymore with that magnet on the back, correct?

Correct. Wireless charging is a no-go.

Actually, if you place the round disc higher on the back of your phone, the Qi charging does work on a standard size iPhone and I suspect will on other phones. I’d suggest first taping the disc in place higher on the back of your phone and testing it on your Qi charger before placing the self-adhesive portion on your phone (semi)permanently.
Mine works fine on the 3 different Qi chargers I tested it on. See my pics in the post above.

Troutrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks very similar to the Mob Armor Pro 90 without having to take apart the center dash

I ruled out any adhesive based mount right out of the gate. Just like the security of something screwed in. Heard too many stories of them coming off and then having to remount with epoxy, then marring the surface. Just my personal preference. Hope yours holds up well.

The install wasn’t as big a deal as I thought; gotta admit it initially made me nervous since I have little experience pulling panels off the dash, but this was easy.

fultonj

Reaction score
I was contacted by Course Motorsports through this Forum to install and review their “Direct Fit Magnetic Phone Mount” for the F-150/Ford Raptor. Like several that have posted, I definitely did not like the obtrusive and clunky (someone said “ugly”) appearance of the ProClip. While I toyed with the idea of the Builtright/67d combo, I also did not like the very obtrusive look of that either. I personally wanted something more streamlined that would be of little notice without the phone and that wouldn’t mount directly to the vent. I’ve been on several of these forums but without finding the right “thing”. I suspect that is why they contacted me.
Disclosure: As mentioned above, this was sent to me for free for review (no other incentives)

Have had mine in since April and love it. Perfect mount.

GSXR

Reaction score
Has anyone considered changing the lower A-Pillar handle bolt to have a Ram mount off the A-Pillar?

ddubdb3

Reaction score
I am one of those that dislike the big clunky phone mounts. I'm also not a fan of the phone being mounted up high and covering the vent. I don't see a reason for the phone to be mounted so high while having car play and navi built into the radio.. The cleanest mount so far is the Course Motorsports but the problem for me here is again it covers the vent and mounted high. Has anyone found a mount that sits low on the dash or even on the console? I want some thing low that also has some type of cable management or way to better hide the phone cable...

OP
OP
armoredveh

armoredveh

Reaction score
You might want to look at the Weathertech phone cup holder. I have one for my wife's car and it works great. The only disadvantage is that we can't close the compartment cover/door without first removing the phone and holder.

chuckycastle

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone considered changing the lower A-Pillar handle bolt to have a Ram mount off the A-Pillar?
Charging/CarPlay/Android Auto seems like it’d be a pain in the ass. Think it’s less than 16ft from the USB ports to there if you tick everything neatly?