CB Part 2 - coax routing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The coax drops straight down inside the post hole and comes out under the truck. I routed it along and tied it to some other wires on top of the driver's side frame rail... lowering the spare helped the access. In the pic below you can see the coax... it was moved to the left and secured.

tirelowered.jpg

I couldn't get any other good pics of the routing... it's on top of the frame. Once I got up to the rear cab mount, I brought the coax into the cab through a grommet under the door sill. (The plastic trim is easy to remove... just pull straight up.)

Pic showing hole (grommet removed) where the cable is routed through:

grommetlocation.jpg

I used a hole punch to make a small hole in the grommet:

grommethole.jpg

Final pic. The grommet is in place (see strategically placed red zip tie pointing at it). The coax was run forward in the channel, then under the carpet in front of the driver's seat. It comes out under the driver's seat through an existing hole in the carpet. You can see the coax coming out behind the seat on the towel to the left of the pic.

Coaxinstalled.jpg

Coming soon: Installing the Cobra 75 CB unit and tuning the antenna.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Very thorough Mark. Thanks again for sharing your CB install with us.

As soon as I figure our my antenna installation location I'll be ordering my setup (Cobra 75 CB).

I look forward to checking it out this weekend when we meet in the desert.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mark, can you show us some pics of the wiring coming into the cab? It's hard to tell where the grommet is. If you could show more of the cab in the pic that'd be helpful. Also, perhaps another view would show us how you routed the wire inside the cab (through a hole in the carpet under the seat)? Thanks again

OP
OP
MarkT

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mark, can you show us some pics of the wiring coming into the cab? It's hard to tell where the grommet is. If you could show more of the cab in the pic that'd be helpful. Also, perhaps another view would show us how you routed the wire inside the cab (through a hole in the carpet under the seat)? Thanks again

Dan,

Open both doors on the driver's side. Remove the door sill plastic trim. The grommet is about in the middle of the rear door opening. You can't miss it. The grommet is easy to remove. Then go under the truck and you'll be able to see the hole. These were the best pics I could take.

In the pics you can see the edge of the carpet. I just ran the coax under the carpet near the front of the seat and routed it to a hole where some existing wiring comes up under the seat already. My camera refuses to take a pic under the seat so I can't get a good shot of it. Or you could run the coax all the way forward down the channel and bring it up under the dash. Or you could run the coax behind the driver's seat under the carpet over to the center console. Once you start looking at it, I'm sure you'll be able to figure something out depending on where you plan to mount the radio.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Mark, are you using the Cobra CB where all of the controls are in the mic? Can you put up some pics showing where the base unit is mounted?

OP
OP
MarkT

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mark, are you using the Cobra CB where all of the controls are in the mic? Can you put up some pics showing where the base unit is mounted?

Yes I am... but it's not mounted. I have it in the pocket behind the driver's seat. I connect the coax and plug it in to the cigarette lighter behind the console when I want to use it... which is rarely because other Raptor owners don't have CB's yet.