Catalytic converter question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are a couple shops around here that will do for $500 but two of them recommend against it because of the emissions and backpressure concerns so I'm skeptical about putting the hi flows on. But I'm guessing none of you guys are having any trouble with the performance of the truck or throwing engine codes, right? Here in Chattanooga, if the service engine light is on, they won't test it and you can't renew your tags until it's fixed.

Should be able to get some hi-flows that work just fine, no codes, as long as the shop knows what they're doing.

They're just cats.

OP
OP
S

StacyW

Reaction score
Just what I needed to hear, now I can start changing things and justify it to the wife!!! ....,. C,mom fellas, be honest, I'm not the only one

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

Should be able to get some hi-flows that work just fine, no codes, as long as the shop knows what they're doing.

They're just cats.

That's what I thought too until they started saying it was best to stick with stock cats

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just what I needed to hear, now I can start changing things and justify it to the wife!!! ....,. C,mom fellas, be honest, I'm not the only one

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

That's what I thought too until they started saying it was best to stick with stock cats

Find a better shop. They're boneheads. I've got one here, but I don't think a shop in CO helps you out unless you just want to talk to them - AA Performance Muffler - Englewood, Colorado - Family-owned and operated installing custom performance muffler, exhaust systems and brakes in the Denver area and beyond.

Scotty is a good dude.

Riddick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running the full Kooks system and couldn't be happier. Did a lot of research before I bought and didn't see one person have issues with the green cats in N/A or boosted applications. I want to go supercharger, so the choice was Kooks. I don't live in an emissions area so I can't say what the cats will do. Your best bet is to hollar at Jim or Josh at JDM Engineering. They are great to talk to and probably can answer all your questions. I've bought all my performance stuff through them and at no time did they not take the time to visit, discuss, and treat me with the best customer service before, during, and after purchase.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
you never really want to go factory when replacing exhaust parts...

aftermarket is usually better and cheaper

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are guys running stock cats @ 600hp so there is no 'need' for high flow cats - but I have them with headers / full exhaust so no back pressure issues.

Offer stands if want these.

OP
OP
S

StacyW

Reaction score
There are guys running stock cats @ 600hp so there is no 'need' for high flow cats - but I have them with headers / full exhaust so no back pressure issues.

I appreciate the offer but I think I'm going to go with the flowmaster cats that I have.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Actually, I'm running over 700 HP (560 rwhp) on full stock exhaust.
Also keep in mind mine is a 2010 1/2 so I do not have the resonator that the 2011-2014 have.

Grunzen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Putting these on Wednesday. https://www.acatglobal.com/product/1991-2014-ford-f150-universal-catalytic-converter/

My right side cat is throwing a P0420 code so.... It's dead. Replacing a cat should throw no codes. The O2 sensors are only looking for a change in the sensor reading from front to back. So if your rear sensor is reading the same as the front then your Catalytic converter is no longer converting so to speak.

UPDATE: Cats replaced. No codes and a 3+ mpg jump in town. I think it was time. was managing barely to get 10-10.5 mpg now 13.5 and I'm not babying it. It got a little more throaty with the new cats, so I've been a little heavier on the throttle at times.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

StacyW

Reaction score
I was getting the same code, po420 and po430. Replaced them and all is well. I can't say that I gained any mpg though. However, it passed the emissions test so I'm happy