Catalytic converter problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi.
I'm new here. Would appreciate your help

I have a 2017 raptor. 2nd owner since 2018.

The truck came with a full afe system with after market exhaust. Have the p304 error code and two different dealers say there is a problem. an actual hole in the left catalytic converter, from rust. The first dealer was only going to change the left one and quoted me $2000 for part and labor. They couldn't get the parts on time and I was visiting that town, so I had to leave and did not get the repair.

Second dealer says they have to change both catalytic converters because it's part of a full system from afe. Quoted me well over $3000 for parts and labor.

I called afe and they said they don't make catalytic converters anymore because of all the new regulations. This second dealer is causing me for concern because he told me they are getting afe replacement but how is that possible if they don't make it anymore.

I need some advice on how to deal with this. The truck runs ok except for the engine code. And spending near $4000 seems ridiculous to me for this.

wagner262

Reaction score
California forces manufactures to warranty cats I think 10 year 150k… that may not help you though.

I’d suggest either going catless option like others had mention. Could even go high flowing cats.

Or you could find an oem exhaust system some took off their car for cheaper and pay a shop to put it on