Carrying two kayaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My lease ran out on my wife's MB R350 and we traded for a sedan. My Raptor is now responsible for cargo duty, which includes the kayaks. I had the MB roof rack and Thule kayak holders. The Thule holders will work on any roof rack. So I need a roof rack.

I don't like the racks that clamp on the sides. I don't like compressing the weather striping. My MB racks fitted into slots that were built into the roof. I didn't see any such factory option on my roof.

Right now the Thule Xsporter seems like my best option. Any kayakers out there that can share their secrets? I have two 12.5" kayaks that weigh about 60lbs each.

Rickoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 17' sea kayak and have looked for a transportation solution as well. The Xsporter was a serious option due to the adjust-ability. I wondered how much I would use it in a lowered position. The Tracrac ONE is a lot cheaper. (can find one for $299 if you look) It seams almost the same except for the adjust-ability. I bought one and it's still in the box while I'm trying to decide whether to keep it or not. To use it, I'll have to take the tonneau cover off, clamp to the side rails and then remove it all when done.

I wish there was a better option.

TheWolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the Thule Xsporter on my last truck and liked it. Only downside is that it can't be installed with a bed cover, like most of those racks on your list. My Xsporter was the older version that had only two height settings and it ended up with scratches when I would move it up and down. Hopefully they fixed that on the new version. If I had to pick from your list I would go with the TracONE, unless you need the height adjustments of the Xsporter but it is twice the cost. If you think you may add a bed cover, go with the TracRac G2, which mounts on rails that sit on top of the bed rail. These can be used with covers that don't cover up the stake pockets, like the Roll-X or some of the other Bak covers.

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I've been doing some more digging. Bakflip has some nice options with the TracRac solution, which seems like the nicest one. That rail system is cool, and it allows for the bed cover also. But it's expensive.

Now I see this.

Erickson Big Bed Load Extender for 2" Hitches Erickson Hitch Cargo Carrier EM07600

Less than $200. Could it be that simple?

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

And this one for $90!

Amazon.com: HitchRack Adjustable Truck Bed Load Extender: Rage Powersport Products: Automotive

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

Ok, let me throw another monkey wrench into this.

The kayaks are super light, 39 pounds each. But 12.5" long and 28" wide. The bed of the Raptor is 50" wide between the wheel wells, and most of these extenders are 48" wide. The kayaks are angled so they'll probably fit on the extender but not in the bed. They'll have to be kinda at an angle. And I don't want to damage them. I already have the Thule carriers that attach to a rack. But dang those racks are expensive. I need ideas.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, I think I found my solution. Yes, the commercial sold me. Not ashamed to admit it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 132
Last edited: