Carrying extra fuel under tonneau cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary Wren

Reaction score
We are going on a trip and plan some off road adventures. I'd like to take extra fuel and keep in the bed under the cover. Going back and forth on options. Could just get a can and strap it down, or get the Built Right Ind bed side panel and Rotopax fuel can. And, those are 2 gallons, not sure that is enough. And they all show that near the tail gate and I have the Ford Bed extender and its handy, so don't think those work together. What are all of you all using to haul extra fuel? Pics? thanks

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2 gallons would get you 20+ miles, and potentially 40 in best case. Not an insignificant distance. Make sure you have the special funnel for the capless fuel system or you will be pouring a lot of fuel.on the ground.

I would carry a minimum of 5 gallons, just saying. Around here with vast open distances, 50+ miles will get you somewhere for sure.

ben2k9

Reaction score
I'd go with a metal fuel can. I had a plastic jug in the back of mine one afternoon in the heat and it swelled up quite a bit

OP
OP
Gary Wren

Gary Wren

Reaction score
I'd go with a metal fuel can. I had a plastic jug in the back of mine one afternoon in the heat and it swelled up quite a bit
Right, not really finding one that is short enough in metal to fit under the cover and hold 5 gallons or more. Jerry cans are to tall.

OP
OP
Gary Wren

Gary Wren

Reaction score
I'll have to see if this will fit, says it can lay on its side, so might have a winner.

Last edited:

Chris Mies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with two 2-1/2 gallon jerry cans. Fit nicely on my Bedside and under the cover.

Chris Mies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wavian 2.6 gallon cans. I highly recommend them. I use bungee straps and have my Bedslide packed pretty tight. That keeps things in place for me while offroading. I would be happy to take a pick in the middle of August when I pack up for my next trip.

OP
OP
Gary Wren

Gary Wren

Reaction score
Wavian 2.6 gallon cans. I highly recommend them. I use bungee straps and have my Bedslide packed pretty tight. That keeps things in place for me while offroading. I would be happy to take a pick in the middle of August when I pack up for my next trip.

Thanks, that looks pretty good, they are sold out though. Not a lot different looking than the Harbor Freight one, different spout/lid though.