Carport Size for Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Idaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at carports for the raptor as the wife gets priority in the garage with her car. Have multiple leaf-dropping trees around the house and hurricanes that bring winds and rain every so often so looking to keep the truck covered. Currently the "generic" car ports are costing about $1500 installed for their smallest at 12' x 21' with 3' sides from the top and no gabled ends.

The carports can be shortened and narrowed to be as small as 10' x 10' but the price doesn't change from the 12' x 21' price. The garage my wife pulls into is 90 degrees to my parking spot so I need to not be having the corner of the carport in the way. With that being said, what's the "ideal" dimensions of a carport for a Screw? I figure I want the 12' wide over 10' but how long does it really need to be?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at carports for the raptor as the wife gets priority in the garage with her car. Have multiple leaf-dropping trees around the house and hurricanes that bring winds and rain every so often so looking to keep the truck covered. Currently the "generic" car ports are costing about $1500 installed for their smallest at 12' x 21' with 3' sides from the top and no gabled ends.

The carports can be shortened and narrowed to be as small as 10' x 10' but the price doesn't change from the 12' x 21' price. The garage my wife pulls into is 90 degrees to my parking spot so I need to not be having the corner of the carport in the way. With that being said, what's the "ideal" dimensions of a carport for a Screw? I figure I want the 12' wide over 10' but how long does it really need to be?
depends on the wind. only you would know that. how strong are the winds and how sideways can the rain get? and will it hold up to a hurricane?

OP
OP
Idaho

Idaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depends on the wind. only you would know that. how strong are the winds and how sideways can the rain get? and will it hold up to a hurricane?

Being in central NC, I'm not talking full-strength winds and rain. Generally winds in our area will gust into the 50's or a bit higher, but the majority of what we get is heavy rain during that time.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think when it comes to garages or carports, there really isn't a such a thing as too big. The limitations are going to be how big you want it, what you can afford, and what the installer says they can do for you that won't get easily torn up by a hurricane.

You didn't mention the height though, that may be the bigger concern. I would want it to be a couple feet taller than the truck so that there's no concern about damaging the roof and you can access the roof to wash or whatever while it's under the port.

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
easy choice. go with the biggest size available for the space that you have available.

And you don't need a couple feet taller than the truck to store it. mine clears the top of my garage by about 3 inches. And works just fine.

But again, more room is always better.

So i'll sum it up like this.

Garages and carports are like my girlfriends beautiful fake *******. Bigger is better. And no one has ever wished they got a smaller size.

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What @txgunsntrucks said..!!! Bigger is always better..!! Dont be like me and alot of people I know....had a 32x36 Pole building built and before the 1st 6x6 was installed I said...SHOULD OF WENT A FEW FEET BIGGER..!! :)
Get what your space and wallet allows...you will never regret those extra Feet.>!!