Carplay Dongle with a Gen1 and Sync 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

other365

Reaction score
Has anyone had any success running a CarPlay dongle with their sync 2. So much info out there but none of it is appropriate for us.

Thoughts?

I think you are confusing 2 different things.

The 3rd party dongles just enable wireless android auto/apple carplay so you don't have to be plugged in.

I could be wrong though...? Only way to get carplay in a gen1 involves replacing the physical hardware from a newer vehicle, AFAIK.

RaptorRnr

Reaction score
Correct. Ford does not offer wireless CarPlay or Android Auto with Sync 3. Sync 4 will have it as an option. The two USB ports in your dash should provide CarPlay and Android Auto when you plug the devices in. You have to agree on the Sync screen and also approve access from your iPhone/Android device. If it's not working, make sure you have the latest 3.4.x version of the Sync software. I have intermittent problems with mine on my 2020 but it has gotten better over time. The third party solutions add wireless so you don't have to plug in your device. I like the idea. But $130+ for a wireless option that just allows me to be lazy is money better spent on something else for my truck. I hope that helps.