CarPlay Brightness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LeCreaux

Reaction score
I think I might have cracked the case on CarPlay brightness at night. The dimmer slider does nothing to it unless you turn off the Auto Dim.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I did not know that was a thing.

I did know that the Sync screen sometimes ignores the dimmer setting and stays on full bright, which hitting either dimmer +/- restores.

I never noticed the CarPlay thing

OP
OP
LeCreaux

LeCreaux

Reaction score
Oh it's a thing, and not just on F-150s. Just Google "carplay too bright at night". I didn't know it was an issue until I started using CarPlay for Waze and Google Maps. The Sync 3 map was just fine at night. But fire up CarPlay and at night Waze lights up the interior like Las Vegas even in its "night mode".

I tried using the dimmer buttons, the brightness slider, nothing would dim it. But toggle off "Auto Dim" and it immediately honors the brightness slider and all is well.

OP
OP
LeCreaux

LeCreaux

Reaction score
Edit: Confirmed this works. If the CarPlay is too bright at night then it's possible it needs to get a new light-level signal from the headlights. Just turn the headlights off and back on and hope someone doesn't road rage at you thinking you're flashing them.

Someone on the Raptor Facebook group just explained that CarPlay doesn't know it's supposed to be dimmed if the headlights are in "auto" and already on when CarPlay starts up. He posted to turn the headlights to "off" and back to "auto" and it will send a brightness signal to CarPlay to dim the brightness. Will test that in the morning commute.

Last edited: