Carmax offered 83k on 79k msrp 2021 raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bruin1md

Reaction score
Not sure what’s going on with the market anymore. 83k on fully loaded 2021 with 1700 miles seems awfully low. 2 months back I was offered 89k for a base 22 trx with 75k msrp and remember couple people here being offered 85k on the base raptor.
What's going on is what I mentioned a few weeks ago: the market is starting to cool as auto loan rates are going up. Many said and continue to say demand is going to stay high through next year. I don't buy it at all, regardless of what the parts/chips issue continue to be.
As rates continue to climb and worsening inflation and rising gas prices continue to hurt most people, the demand for high priced trucks with poor gas mileage is going to cool off

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
There are a lot of moving parts right now. But, an interest rate of 4-5% for a house or car is going to be lower than the rate of inflation, for the next few years at least. We had $4 gas back in 2008, given the recent inflation, $4 gas is still relatively cheap compared to the dollar in 2008. Wages may be twice as high as 2008 too.

OP is being lowballed but still making money, assuming he payed msrp. The 83k offer is a wholesale number, they will retail it at 90k or whatever. Nothing burger.

BalorGrayJax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's going on is what I mentioned a few weeks ago: the market is starting to cool as auto loan rates are going up. Many said and continue to say demand is going to stay high through next year. I don't buy it at all, regardless of what the parts/chips issue continue to be.
As rates continue to climb and worsening inflation and rising gas prices continue to hurt most people, the demand for high priced trucks with poor gas mileage is going to cool off

The fed rate is not tied to short term interest rates and the marginal increase in financing a truck should play absolutely zero in the purchase of a vehicle. I'll stay away from my Dave Ramsey preaching and stay on topic - but the difference between 2.99% and the 3.1% you're seeing out there on various terms ranging between 24 to 84 months is negligible and its truly scary to me that people worry so badly about an extra $20 per month when they are already making the bad financial decision to finance a new (or used) car to begin with. If that money is breaking you in this "rising rate environment" then we are all truly f*****.

RaptorND

Reaction score
The used car lots in my area have been looking full lately. Local credit union auto rates have remained unchanged. One I’m gonna use is 1.79 percent for 60 months.

GT4ME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck was sold for 11k over msrp to a local ford dealer.
You sold your truck to a local Ford dealer for $11K over MSRP? Or you bought it from your local Ford dealer for $11K over MSRP?

If you sold it to the dealer for that amount, did you trade it in on something or was this an outright purchase by the dealer?