Carbon Fiber upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Personally, the matte/flat finish from the factory looks better IMO.

IIRC, doesn't the clear coat on CF tend to peel after a while? What about sand and rock pelting while off-roading or highway driving?

Talon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
agreed, i like the factory look better myself which is why i went back to it. not sure about the clear coat on CF since i didnt have them on long, but i imagine that regardless of the material (CF or stock) its going to take a beating either way, that is if you drive your truck like it was meant to be :)

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I sent these pics to a very well regarded CF master, just to get his thoughts. His comment was "...knowing the characteristics of cf, I am surprised to see them used on the fender flares. I would think something with a little more "give" would want to be used for that part."

Food for thought.

drewghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
same here, love the orange with flat black. Not big fan of shiny on a truck, and after riding in the trenches might not look so nice. But looks COOL for a SHOW truck..
Drew

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Talon, can you tell us about your "deal" with the CF company? I assume you loaned them your truck and in exchange you got the CF parts for free/discount. If that's the case why you went back to stock parts is even more interesting since I assume price wasn't the reason.

Talon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats exactly what it was, they used my truck as a prototype and in turn i was given the parts. the CF looked ok but like i said that flat color looked much better IMO. the hood louvers were not vented, the grill was no match for the factory one, the side vents were molded into the fiberglass fenders so there wasnt much option to keep those in once i took off the fenders, Lets just say it seemed like a cool idea at first, but Ford put one great truck together here and i wanted to get back to that.

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I didn't even think about whether or not the hood vents were actually functional with the CF.

Talon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No they were not, and after the drive home from San Diego the day i picked it up they were rather warm. I dont think Jason plans of producing most of these pieces in CF, i think he is only going to offer the fiberglass fenders and fender trim in CF. But i could be wrong, that was just the impression i got