Carbon fiber parts from Covid boredom

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
EL Snagadore

EL Snagadore

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love the video in your signature, has to be a blast to be that close to the action! So, looking forward to your parts.
Was the absolute most unsafe thing ever lol.. We had no protective gear. Jeans, team shirt and a radio headset. If cars get together on that straightaway and shit starts flying it's cancel Christmas.... They actually got rid of it a few years back. I loved it. My buddy and I volunteered for it every year we could. Do absolutely nothing, watch the race front and center... Was amazing... Glad we got to do it...
Nothing beats the Isle of Man TT for being right up next to the action. I had some of the bikes blow over my go-pro at Braddan bridge church. There’s a stone wall on the “outside” of the corner and the bikes are literally a foot from that wall at triple digit speeds. There are some higher speed venues where you can get pretty close too, particularly the Mountain course.
Have to disagree with ya there bud. I have been to the isle of man and yes it's pure insanity and I loved it.. But, There is nothing like 33 Indy Cars coming by you every 30 seconds at 230ish mph 6" apart all at once at the worlds largest single day sporting event on Memorial Day. There just isn't. I have attended F1 Monaco (V12 days), LeMans, and Daytona as guests of entrants and they all just kinda fall short to the 500. But Isle may be my 2nd. Neck and neck with Monaco..

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
https://www.redbull.com/us-en/the-7-most-dangerous-motorsport-events

Although Hutchy’s leg was most severely injured in an actual BSB track race, not a road course, there is no comparison in the level of danger from a track event, to a road race. Just ask the Dunlop family. I’m surprised more spectators aren’t injured, all along the mountain course they’re lined up at the hedges or curbs. Where there are curbs. There are a few road races that are a little closer in more places, NW200 has many venues where you’re right up on things too.

another good one:
https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycle...crashes-while-doing-150mph-at-tt-ar91902.html

Of course, the real differentiator is Mad Sunday, where you can ride the Mountain course at whatever pace you can handle; no speed limit, run what ya brung. I’ve yet to attend another even that allowed this.

I haven’t been to Monaco yet, and thanks for the reminder. That’s going on the to do list.

OP
OP
EL Snagadore

EL Snagadore

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.redbull.com/us-en/the-7-most-dangerous-motorsport-events

Although Hutchy’s leg was most severely injured in an actual BSB track race, not a road course, there is no comparison in the level of danger from a track event, to a road race. Just ask the Dunlop family. I’m surprised more spectators aren’t injured, all along the mountain course they’re lined up at the hedges or curbs. Where there are curbs. There are a few road races that are a little closer in more places, NW200 has many venues where you’re right up on things too.

another good one:
https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycle...crashes-while-doing-150mph-at-tt-ar91902.html

Of course, the real differentiator is Mad Sunday, where you can ride the Mountain course at whatever pace you can handle; no speed limit, run what ya brung. I’ve yet to attend another even that allowed this.

I haven’t been to Monaco yet, and thanks for the reminder. That’s going on the to do list.

Monaco is Fabulous... definitely put that on your list.. I mean yeah its absolutely insane as far as safety goes, Not much they can do to improve it. Your on a bike and you can hit a pub or fall off a mountain, literally. We hit walls yes but we have materials that dissipate energy very well, carbon fiber to name one. We added halo's which i have seen save a few people from injury. Since I have been affiliated with Indy car we have lost 3 and 1 paralyzed. But just like those lunatics at Isle, and they are true 100% insane lunatics, they wouldn't have it any other way. They love what they do for sure.
If your a flat out racing fan honorable mention goes to F1 at Spa at Eau Rouge. Spectacular to watch.
Personally I think the sidecar passenger at the Isle is the craziest of all.... F that... having zero control of the machine... No Thanks..

Mike O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This video of the Baja 1000 is not nearly as fast, but I'm sharing it because it is cool to see a team with two choppers and how they work together.

Sorry about the thumb at the beginning... This is also not the most exciting section of the course.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EL Snagadore

EL Snagadore

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@EL Snagadore - where exactly were you on the video?

View attachment 163067
So right between the track itself and pit row on the front straightaway. Its a little trench with a 30" wall on both sides that stretches from pit entrance turn 4 to pit exit turn 1 and we are usually by the position pole. This may give you a better idea. Here is a pict and video.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OxSpKN8E4OZoMKkX7xe4aK7W08vG4qC4/view?usp=sharing
http://[URL][URL]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OxSpKN8E4OZoMKkX7xe4aK7W08vG4qC4/view?usp=sharing
GOPR0118.JPG

OP
OP
EL Snagadore

EL Snagadore

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This video of the Baja 1000 is not nearly as fast, but I'm sharing it because it is cool to see a team with two choppers and how they work together.

Sorry about the thumb at the beginning... This is also not the most exciting section of the course.
I would love to get out to a baja...We had a GRC team before the series folded that was like 70% cool lol... Man doesn't the choppers create way more dust? or do they actually clear it out?

Mike O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to get out to a baja...We had a GRC team before the series folded that was like 70% cool lol... Man doesn't the choppers create way more dust? or do they actually clear it out?

The choppers don't really create much of a mess. The trucks, however...

If you ever plan a trip, let me know. I can hook you up with a place to stay, food, and beer. The place is meant to be shared. I am in tight with some locals who bring me fish, octopus, and lobster that they snag from the sea on a regular basis.

OP
OP
EL Snagadore

EL Snagadore

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The choppers don't really create much of a mess. The trucks, however...

If you ever plan a trip, let me know. I can hook you up with a place to stay, food, and beer. The place is meant to be shared. I am in tight with some locals who bring me fish, octopus, and lobster that they snag from the sea on a regular basis.
Sounds like a party.... Sheeeeeet I'm in...

@EL Snagadore - wow, that’s right next to the action, something goes wrong there at that speed and it’s no bueno time (understatement)
lol Curtains..... I can't believe they had that position for so long.
True story the first time we did it were out there and the other 29 teams are running around crazy putting letters and numbers on the pit boards and we are sitting there do nothing. My one buddy is putting Grey Poupon on his sandwich, other guy is checking text messages... I'm like wtf is this... So i go ask the other guy who has done a few times before and he's like oh we do nothing.. Just hang out and enjoy the race. I mean our job is to communicate to the drivers in case of communication failure, which does happen quite often, but the drivers don't see you holding a board that says Pit 121 at 230mph... half the dam cars have similar colors and you cant tell them apart. After the first race I worked out there I asked the driver did you see where I was in case the radio failed... He laughed. So the 4 years after that I just watched the race and got a tan out there...