Cap Dat Ass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Yukon Joe

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I really liked my ARE caps on my Dullys. I had 2 issues on both caps I broke the cloths hangers and the bigger problem was the rear corners cracked which then allowed the door to rattle and some times come open. On both trucks we think the issue was the dully stiff suspension and lots of towing. Both caps were replaced free of charge and on the second truck both caps were suppose to be updated versions to fix that issue but I was able to break then anyway.

This corner issue happened in the 90s and early 2000s and so far the Raptor owners the have ARE caps have not mentioned this cropping up. If I were to buy a cap this is the brand I would get.

I would also add a 4th clamp to each side since we do get off road. Are going to extend the graphics?
Great info to know. Thanks. I did take the advise of @Hockster and order two extra clamps for the center mounting position. For the 5.5 foot bed, they come standard with four, not six.
@Yukon Joe has to be the longest standing person to keep stock bumpers and wheels on his truck, lol!
Hey, that rear bumper is an ADD. I wouldn't mind a new front bumper, but wasn't going to shell out a couple grand for what I want. A few of us tried for a group buy on a slim bumper with winch mount, but it was still really expensive.

As for the wheels, now that the stainless steel light bar is gone, they kinda stick out. Might have to look into blacking them out. I bet the bead lock wheels I have will look really good.
Great job Joe! Get the bed rug and you won't need a motel room anymore!!! Any crazy plans to mount some additional lighting now that you have all that space up top? You could go really wild with some light setups.....

One tip, if I could offer it. Do not depend on those clamps to hold that thing on if you intend to go off-roading very hard. They are great on the highway, but will work themselves loose in the rough stuff. I know it's a tough thing to do, but drill some holes and use some bolts/nuts to keep that thing on......
Thinking about it. I'll need to add rear facing ambers. I'd like to add what @Rookie and @SilentShooter had for Snoball earlier this year. I don't remember what brand they were, but I liked the red and amber capability, along with some flashing patterns.

The ARE website shows a light bar mounted to the front rise of the shell. I'll probably add something to that area.

How is it to drill into these things? I need to mount my radio antenna on it. Will the grounding plane be OK since it's not metal?

As for the hold down clamps, thanks for the heads up. I did add extra clamps, and according to @Hockster, his hasn't moved since adding free extra clamps. Now I do already have holes in the bed rail where the light bar rack was, so if needed I could reuse those holes.

Over all, I am pleased with the look. I never thought I would like an old man cap, and especially one with an extra rise to it.... but hey, I guess that's what happens when you start to become an old man. Lol....

@Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:
Drive your raptor here!!!!
www.runraptorrun.com
( * Y * )

Post a pic ofyour Raptor here:
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=49261&share_fid=17668&share_type=t
Calendar contest August 17
♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤

Vote for a pic here: vvvvvvvvvvvv
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=1010757

OP
OP
Yukon Joe

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That capped black Raptor makes me drool!

The wife digs the new "Avalanche" though... Anyone think I'll have trouble finding a cap in that color?
Just like @2014RubyRed said, if you have your paint code, there is no issue. ARE caps come painted to match the factory color. The one on the black truck you like is the Z series. What sets that one apart is the back glass hinge is hidden, unlike mine that is a long aluminum hinge that you can see at the top of the glass. The lines on the Z series are a bit smoother as well.

@Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:
Drive your raptor here!!!!
www.runraptorrun.com
( * Y * )

Post a pic ofyour Raptor here:
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=49261&share_fid=17668&share_type=t
Calendar contest August 17
♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤

Vote for a pic here: vvvvvvvvvvvv
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=1010757

Last edited: