Cant get MA inspection stick PLEASE HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Magnetic18

Reaction score
My 2020 Raptor wont pass emission in MA. I have a whipple tune on it. I tried going to Ford and having them remap it back to stock but they couldn't, they said the PCM was corrupt and wouldn't let them enter the system. I asked if I can buy a new PCM to replace the corrupt one with the tune, so I could pass inspection and their tech said most likely that wont help me out. My question is, does that make sense? If I completely replace the computer, why wont it pass inspection? Has anyone has this problem? What was the solution?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like your tech is corrupt, how come you can't return the truck back to the stock tune? AS @nikhsub1 said, contact Whipple, they aren't a small company, I'm sure they can help you out.

Pinned

Reaction score
Why would your Whipple tune prevent you from passing MA inspection? Based on my experience in MA, any tune that isn't haphazard should pass fine with a mostly stock car (because you really cannot get that aggressive on mostly stock cars anyways).

Mike T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with others, the tune should not make it fail emissions inspection. Usually takes changing exhaust stuff to do that. I had a Whipple tune and it’s pretty mediocre in terms of parameter changes. Whipple however makes it notoriously difficult to get your stock tune files, they don’t make it available when the Whipple tune is loaded. I called Whipple once about it, was totally underwhelmed by their (lack of) response. Go to MPT (I did), buy a tune and a tuner, if you ask them, try will write a stock tune? Give you the Whipple tune and your new MPT tune. You’ll have the stock tune if you need to go in for something requiring a flash. Easy to change back and forth. I wouldn’t believe the BS about the corrupted PCM either.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the PCM is corrupted, then it won’t communicate with an OBDII scan which won’t pass inspection. Honestly it’s the most likely culprit. I’m not sure why a new PCM isn’t the solution.

HighHP

Reaction score
I ran into something similar. I recently got a tune update from Whipple. My SCT device which loaded the tune, could not auto recognize the tune when I tried to use the gauge function. My Autel diagnostics scan tool could not auto recognize the tune. I had to manually enter PCM ID items for both to read. On prior tunes they would recognize fine. After more research, I found that Whipple has started to mask their tunes to hide from copiers and EPA maybe required it to stop tuners. My first thought was if my two devices did not recognize the tune then state test centers will not be able to read them either. A third device showed it as corrupt. I don't have an answer, show the state your CARB certification. It should be with the Whipple paperwork. Or have Whipple send it to you.
How long have you had the tune?

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As other have said, contact Whipple first. It’s unlikely that the PCM has been damaged if the truck runs fine and there are no DTCs. Most likely the tune is preventing IDS and state inspection equipment from property identifying and communicating with the PCM.

ROCKMUZK

Reaction score
My 2020 Raptor wont pass emission in MA. I have a whipple tune on it. I tried going to Ford and having them remap it back to stock but they couldn't, they said the PCM was corrupt and wouldn't let them enter the system. I asked if I can buy a new PCM to replace the corrupt one with the tune, so I could pass inspection and their tech said most likely that wont help me out. My question is, does that make sense? If I completely replace the computer, why wont it pass inspection? Has anyone has this problem? What was the solution?
To pass emissions you dont have to worry...you get a grqce period to fix this problem...keep receipt as proof on dash & police MAY give a courtesy of not giving you a ticket...on the other hand...your installers have an obligation to assist you with this problem
The re-map for should fix the problem

NE Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what programmer whipple uses but I dont know anyone in MA that has been able to pass over the years when running an SCT tuner. Lots of buddies with cobras had problems, one was required to go to a MA state police inspection facility and put the car back to stock.