Can't decide on which tune (MPT, JDM, Gearhead)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D3 SS 3D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just installed the JDM tune yesterday, already had the SCT X4 and got JDM's email tune on special for $385 ($100 off). Thus far, I'm liking it, feels like I have much more HP/TQ on demand. Did a 1st gear pull and said to myself after, this truck is quick (I also have a 700 WHP GT500 so I have some experience with what's fast). Just FYI, the stock tune puts you in 10th gear pretty much ASAP, not with JDM, clearly goes up thru the gears and you stay in the gear applicable for the speed you are at (ie. stock tune at 45 MPH in 10th, JDM at 45 MPH in 7th - or something similar).

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am in Cali as well. How much improvement do you see when limited to 91?

Oh it's very noticeable. I haven't dynoed it or anything, but when I flash back to stock, I'm bummed. Can't stand it for too long. Fortunately, I'm moving out of Cali soon, so I'll be able to experiment with other tunes and get higher octane gas :) I honestly can't wait. I've wanted to get out of this hell hole for so long.

Hdaniel85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in SoCal as well, I use 32 Gallons of Chevron 91 and 4 Gallons of E85 and I am on a 91 Octane tune. There's amazing power to be had with these trucks with just a tune.

Gas is definitely an issue, one benefit of California (I am moving to Florida in the next few months) is that their E85 blend is supposed to have a lot more Ethanol than most other E85 blends in other states.

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am in SoCal as well, I use 32 Gallons of Chevron 91 and 4 Gallons of E85 and I am on a 91 Octane tune. There's amazing power to be had with these trucks with just a tune.

Gas is definitely an issue, one benefit of California (I am moving to Florida in the next few months) is that their E85 blend is supposed to have a lot more Ethanol than most other E85 blends in other states.

Gate Gas stations out here in FL have E85 at the pump and last I checked it was $1.25 a gal.

Romans9

Reaction score
Have been running the MPT 93 PRX for over two years without any issues on a moderately modded 2018. The truck runs great and shifts perfectly in Normal mode. Sport mode is a little harsh on the shifts, so I rarely use it. We have a plentiful supply of 93 octane in Texas, so I have never tried it with anything less.

As others have said, go with one of the established tuners and you will be fine.
Same - I enjoy the 93PRX Normal very much.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just installed the JDM tune yesterday, already had the SCT X4 and got JDM's email tune on special for $385 ($100 off). Thus far, I'm liking it, feels like I have much more HP/TQ on demand. Did a 1st gear pull and said to myself after, this truck is quick (I also have a 700 WHP GT500 so I have some experience with what's fast). Just FYI, the stock tune puts you in 10th gear pretty much ASAP, not with JDM, clearly goes up thru the gears and you stay in the gear applicable for the speed you are at (ie. stock tune at 45 MPH in 10th, JDM at 45 MPH in 7th - or something similar).

yeah I felt same way also have had/have plenty of truly fast vehicles like 600/1000cc bikes/cammed GTO/blown vette etc. & even relative to that I totally agree the tuned Raptor w/ that 10 speed auto + 4.10s in AWD is still “quick” in every sense of the word. Usable speed/power all over the place

OP
OP
WWB

WWB

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Decided to pull the trigger on a JDM tune. Had it installed earlier this week and so far loving it. Very noticeable difference in power and shifting. Like others have said, the combination of the engine and trans tune is awesome. Guys at JDM were great to work with. Now time to play with it more.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Decided to pull the trigger on a JDM tune. Had it installed earlier this week and so far loving it. Very noticeable difference in power and shifting. Like others have said, the combination of the engine and trans tune is awesome. Guys at JDM were great to work with. Now time to play with it more.

Awesome dude! Glad you're happy.

I like an intake and BOV too to really bring out the turbo sounds!

ICEMAN 316

Reaction score
JDM and MPT have different techniques (styles) for increasing power. JDM likes to push boost and peak boost over advances in timing. MPT pushes earlier boost but doesn’t really go much beyond stock peak boost and instead focuses more on A/F ratio and timing.

their horsepower endpoints I believe are in a similar ballpark.

So what’s the Pros and Cons to both JDM and MPT techniques? What’s the benefits for pushing boost over advancing the timing and what’s the cons? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So what’s the Pros and Cons to both JDM and MPT techniques? What’s the benefits for pushing boost over advancing the timing and what’s the cons? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a pretty technical question & the answer would have many variables the first being honestly asking yourself "how am I going to use this truck?" - bottom line, if it were me, if I towed anything regularly, had a lot of weight in bed fairly often, sat in traffic a lot, essentially "used it like a truck" more than a toy or parking lot cruiser, then I'd stick w/ tunes that tend to keep avg high boost levels close to stock & not peaking over stock (which I think is like 17-18 psi) too often or foo too long a duration. If I was using the truck more for whipping around w/ the fam or putting a stomping on a Range Rover sport/SC X5 etc & hauling a few bags of home depot mulch, not overlanding, not towing anything then I would consider a tune that goes w/ more boost @ higher RPM.

I went w/ gearhead b/c they are more on the conservative side (more conservative than either JDM/MPT from what I understand) but are known for buttery smooth/seamless tranny programming & for being a "set it & forget it" type of tune for a # of reasons....1 being they're the ONLY tuner that I know of that offers an "auto octane readjust" w/o loading a different tune or reverting to stock, many of the tunes out there rely so heavily on some quality 93 octane that they literally WON'T let your truck run really if you get stuck in a place w/ only ethanol laden 87 octane, gearhead also offers a "performance tow tune" to go along w/ their regular performance tune & that really sealed the deal for me.....but again - question is what are YOU going to use it for, what gas do you have readily available, what are you looking for just straight max speed/power FTW or a happy medium etc. Some of the very aggressive tunes may be less than desirable under normal "relaxed" driving conditions (harsh tranny shifting/TC locking etc - by design)

Don't bother getting a tune that doesn't touch the tranny.....and some cobb fanboys get mad...but I'd stick to the companies that have been tuning auto trannies for a while & in particular the F150......JDM/MPT/GH all fit that bill

good luck!