Can't decide on which tune (MPT, JDM, Gearhead)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ali 556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of these tunes does is increase boost and adjust timing,

The real question is do you the supporting mods?

At least an IC other wise you are asking for knock knock tec tec boom with the stock IC

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks FordTecHOne. Great info. Leads me to lean towards MPT or JDM. Curious if you have any recommendations on which tunes are better and why?

Not much into the aftermarket. I only see what tends to fail, and from the general results on here, MPT and JDM seem to have their calibrations dialed in well.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree with everything you said there, as you more eloquently described what I said above.

The one caveat to your statement though is that the likelihood of detonation and preignition leading to damage is extremely small and I don’t think anyone on here has an example of it with a quality aftermarket tune.

The Ford PCM is reasonably sophisticated and the sampling rate for the knock sensor is extremely high. It pulls back spark immediately based on tables, and continues to retard it as long as the knock condition exists.

I think you’d have to have a really hot tune with no Margin for error to cause a problem.... as in running an E85 tune on pump gas.

I agree; and you are correct regarding the knock detection capabilities of the factory PCM calibration. As you mention, I haven't seen any conclusive evidence of engine failure on vehicles running a high quality tune. However; there always seems to be some low cost/high gain aftermarket company marketing a product that causes said issues by changing the PCM knock detection strategy. That is the aspect I was referring to; not the reputable quality tuners I've seen thus far.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All of these tunes does is increase boost and adjust timing,

The real question is do you the supporting mods?

At least an IC other wise you are asking for knock knock tec tec boom with the stock IC
tune is all you need unless you are leaning on it hard , often

SRPRACING

Reaction score
Mainly companies that keep the factory knock strategy and OAR are the ones with reputable tunes.

Neil Casa

Reaction score
+1 for GooseTuned. Great customer service, usually responds within 2 hours sending a log to him. Fine tunes until either you or he is happy. Totally transformed the truck. Bonus is you get the stock Cobb tunes if you are uncomfortable with your gas. Just flash a low octane Cobb tune and still have some benefit and be safe. Boom!, problem solved in under a minute.
Great shop to deal with!

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have been running the MPT 93 PRX for over two years without any issues on a moderately modded 2018. The truck runs great and shifts perfectly in Normal mode. Sport mode is a little harsh on the shifts, so I rarely use it. We have a plentiful supply of 93 octane in Texas, so I have never tried it with anything less.

As others have said, go with one of the established tuners and you will be fine.

Fever

Reaction score
This thread has been very helpful to me, thanks everyone.

I noticed 5-Star Tune offers a “drive train” warrantee with their tunes. Maybe helps them sell more due to OEM warrantee violations. I did not realize they were unrefined. They offer a 6 year 100K miles warantee for $1,000.

Any other reputable Tune companies doing this warranty?

I have had my 2020 for 4 weeks and want to put a tune in it. Maybe I’ll go Cobb or MPT.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not looking to cause trouble but 5 star was very amateur. I got rid of it promptly.