Can't decide on which tune (MPT, JDM, Gearhead)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have 3 years in MPT and it’s outstanding.

gearhead was such a small gain that it was hardly worth it. Five star is entirely unrefined. Gearhead was .7 seconds slower to 60 then MPT and only 0.2 seconds faster than stock.

the auto octane thing is all hype. The truck retards timing with the knock sensor and MPT leaves that in tact. You won’t Grenade the engine on 91 or 87. I’ve inadvertently run 91 without problems. It’ll knock retard the same as anyone else.

The term octane “auto adjust“ is somewhat misleading. The PCM cannot monitor fuel octane; all it can do is make adjustments based on the feedback from the knock sensors. The knock sensors only detect pre-ignition and detonation once they have already occurred. So by the time the PCM pulls spark timing and reduces boost pressure, damage may have already occurred due to the initial event. The chance of damage occurring is entirely dependent on fuel octane and tuning parameters.

OP
OP
WWB

WWB

Reaction score
Thanks FordTecHOne. Great info. Leads me to lean towards MPT or JDM. Curious if you have any recommendations on which tunes are better and why?

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with everything you said there, as you more eloquently described what I said above.

The one caveat to your statement though is that the likelihood of detonation and preignition leading to damage is extremely small and I don’t think anyone on here has an example of it with a quality aftermarket tune.

The Ford PCM is reasonably sophisticated and the sampling rate for the knock sensor is extremely high. It pulls back spark immediately based on tables, and continues to retard it as long as the knock condition exists.

I think you’d have to have a really hot tune with no Margin for error to cause a problem.... as in running an E85 tune on pump gas.

JDM and MPT have different techniques (styles) for increasing power. JDM likes to push boost and peak boost over advances in timing. MPT pushes earlier boost but doesn’t really go much beyond stock peak boost and instead focuses more on A/F ratio and timing.

their horsepower endpoints I believe are in a similar ballpark.

I think you’d be fine with either tune. Also, don’t ignore the fact that folks can’t say enough good things about goosetuned and the Cobb platform is supposed to be second to none.

good Luck to you.

The term octane “auto adjust“ is somewhat misleading. The PCM cannot monitor fuel octane; all it can do is make adjustments based on the feedback from the knock sensors. The knock sensors only detect pre-ignition and detonation once they have already occurred. So by the time the PCM pulls spark timing and reduces boost pressure, damage may have already occurred due to the initial event. The chance of damage occurring is entirely dependent on fuel octane and tuning parameters.

Frank R

Reaction score
Went with MPT 93 octane tune with trans tune and all I can say is wow put it in 4A at the light and no one has a chance I think it surprises more people than anything especially the Dodge boys I also have Ford performance exhaust and Performance drop in dry air filter I also did like the fact that after driving for a couple thousand miles you can data log your tune on a wide-open throttle run send it to them and they can verify that everything is running smooth which is a nice piece of mine don’t know if the other guys do that

White fog

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another vote for MPT. 93 octane tune was more than I expected from a tune. Felt like a different truck. Also ordered the AEM methanol injection Kit from MPT. Did a few data logs and sent to them. They updated my tune for no charge and sent me the PRX 93 **** tune which feels unreal!!

Raptor50

Reaction score
Went with MPT 93 octane tune with trans tune and all I can say is wow put it in 4A at the light and no one has a chance I think it surprises more people than anything especially the Dodge boys I also have Ford performance exhaust and Performance drop in dry air filter I also did like the fact that after driving for a couple thousand miles you can data log your tune on a wide-open throttle run send it to them and they can verify that everything is running smooth which is a nice piece of mine don’t know if the other guys do that
How do you like the ford performance exhaust? I ordered one a few weeks back, just trying to find the time to install it

Attackpilot

Reaction score
cobb all the way and have goose tuned due a custom map for you

the cobb sport + transmission tune is amazing shifts and feels like a DCT vs stock

i have E50 blend and putting down 500hp to the rear on cobb and goose tune can spin tires in

3rd gear if i want usually have to drive in 4A and Sport with the E50 tune
Is that E50 blend using stock fuel?