Canks' 2020 basic ***** "build"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Canks

Reaction score
Nice! Definitely have an EXO run on my bucket list. Any insights you can share? Would you do it again?

My main insight is that you should do it. Don't worry about what mods you have done to your truck, it really doesn't matter. There are guys there with an easy $100k in to their truck and there are guys like me who have a mostly stock truck. Some people will want to haul *** and be first, and others will be like me a cruise. No big deal, if someone wants to pass, let them pass.

Keep spares of the common raptor problems (or problems your truck has specifically), a second air filter in case you encounter silt, some tools, a jack and two spares and you are good to go.... You don't actually need all of that as there were guys on our trip that had about none of any of that and Jeremiah's crew would do all of the work for them if necessary. However you are going to baja, and there is always a chance you could get lost from the group. Highly unlikely though as EXO gives everyone the gps map file.

I actually missed a turn off the highway a few days in to the trip, being that I am rather familiar with Baja I jumped on an access road and got back on course. Hardest part was knowing if I was then ahead or behind the group at that point. I waited and a few mins later Jeremiah came by looking rather bewildered at me being ahead of him, when he was clearly leading the group to start the day.

I have had the discussion of "is it worth it" a few times with my racer friends. They have a hard time believing me, but when I do the math on hotels, chase trucks and meals you aren't far off what it costs us to go prerunning. Then subtract the headache of putting it all together and finding the route and it is very worth it. Many of them want to come on the trips now

I am actually going on the baja sur trip to Cabo in October (assuming my new job approves my time off). Really looking forward to this. Its also nice because several of us from the March trip kept in contact, and we all signed up for this trip together.

If Covid allows the Baja 1k to still go to La Paz that will be two trips to Baja Sur for me this year.

I just rambled a whole lot, so if you have specific EXO or truck questions let me know.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice build! Hopefully the 1000 stays as it will be an awesome race but man, its gonna be a tiresome trip back!

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Ok I'll be the one to ask, what is the 4x4 being used for, to adjust your bump stop height?

4x4

OP
OP
C

Canks

Reaction score
Speaking of EXO, the goals for the truck to prep for the 1k and EXO Baja Sur trip are:

1) Rear suspension: Truck needs up travel bad (as do all Raptors). Going to try swapping back to factory shackles, and if necessary take the deavers back to Deaver to add another inch of ride height
(I would love to find a spring under kit to maximize my uptravel and get it setup prior to EXO. I actually have 4" fox bypasses from my prerunner project I could steal for the raptor)

2) Front suspension: truck could really use more shock upfront, but I think I'm going to keep it simple and add about an inch of ride height

3) KHC: Diff skid, underbody skid, stage 2 slot delete (front chassis gussets)

4) Get my race radio/antennae tuned (I have intermittent issues not receiving messages)

OP
OP
C

Canks

Reaction score
Ok I'll be the one to ask, what is the 4x4 being used for, to adjust your bump stop height?

4x4

Leafs are disassembled to cycle and check bump and droop (and set bumpstops). In order to do this properly you need to take up the space of the leaf springs that are removed to make sure all measurements are correct.

btw i cut down those leaf bolts and got it to bump slightly higher, unfortunately the passenger side reservoir comes in to contact at full bump

OP
OP
C

Canks

Reaction score
Last I had heard they do, and they like them. I haven't spoken to Duncan in a while though, so I could be wrong.... They are also just shocks, not magic

bmarco

Reaction score
Love your thread ! Can you tell me what radio you bought and where you mounted it ? Happy with it ? Struggling with whether to just go 60W to meet EXO requirement for Baja (I’ve scheduled twice, cancelled twice because of Covid but definitely still want to go) or upgrade to 110W. Will not do that much off-roading alone but want to feel I have dependable communication ability when I do.

OP
OP
C

Canks

Reaction score
Love your thread ! Can you tell me what radio you bought and where you mounted it ? Happy with it ? Struggling with whether to just go 60W to meet EXO requirement for Baja (I’ve scheduled twice, cancelled twice because of Covid but definitely still want to go) or upgrade to 110W. Will not do that much off-roading alone but want to feel I have dependable communication ability when I do.

60W implies you are look at a Rugged Radios setup? I have personal feelings against them that I won’t go in to, on top of that my opinion is that they provide substandard products.

I use PCI for all comms setups. Why? Because they provide better equipment and support Baja racers, on top of that they have been providing Weatherman services forever, and never ask for help paying for it or gratitude.

With that said I have a 110w kenwood radio mounted behind my rear seat on the built right molle panel mount, with the head unit snaked in to my center console (where it is just free floating at the moment, shame, I know)

As for the 110 vs 50 argument, keep in mind that a 110w radio will let you send a stronger signal, which should get you a greater distance (depending on obstacles). But, the power of the radio won’t help it receive any better, that will be in your antennae setup… goal is to mount a second radio (50w) in the center console on the PCI center console mount so I can monitor two channels simultaneously while doing chase duties. Not sure how I’ll workout the antennae portion for the second radio just yet.

Short version: I love my setup, I just want to add to it. If I were you I’d prob just run a 50w icom or kenwood