Can you swap rear shocks without removing tire or jacking up truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grantoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious if you can swap the rear shocks on these trucks without pulling the wheels off and putting it on jack stands. I know access would be a little awkward but is it impossible? Seems like it would be pretty easy to unscrew them... Pop them off... Pop the new ones on and tighten up the bolts. Just curious if I'm missing something.

Houston Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious if you can swap the rear shocks on these trucks without pulling the wheels off and putting it on jack stands. I know access would be a little awkward but is it impossible? Seems like it would be pretty easy to unscrew them... Pop them off... Pop the new ones on and tighten up the bolts. Just curious if I'm missing something.

You can definitely do it without removing the wheels but you'll have to jack up the truck.

punchinpaper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you can take them off without lifting or removing tires like how so many people get shocks stolen off their trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not to tough to swap shocks with the tires still on, but u need to lift the truck some to make it easier to get them back on if you are swapping to 3.0s. The best way I have found to make it easier on yourself is to open the compression adjusters to make it easy for you to push the shock down, and then close the rebound all the way so that it won't spring back as fast. It will give you a few seconds to get it into place. With the factory shocks its best to just jack the rear end up till you can line up the holes, usually the tires will be off the ground or close to it. It also doesn't hurt to have a small jack under the axle to make fine adjustments while you are under there. Oh and don't forget chocks and all the safety crap to.