Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Can We Talk Intake Air Temperature?

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods' started by DINOZR, Jul 3, 2020.

1. DINOZR

DINOZR Full Access Member

I'm still fairly new here. Raptor is 2 weeks and 500 miles old. Naturally, I like more powah babeh. I know from my experience with other trucks that most well-designed vehicles already have a "cold air" intake and aftermarket CAIs are a dubious performance improvement.

Today I was watching my electronic gauge for air intake temperature. Ambient temp reading on the head unit was 91F. Air intake temperature consistently read 98F while at highway speed and 110F in stop and go city traffic.

So...that seems pretty good. Do you guys see the same delta with stock intakes? Does the delta improve (get closer to ambient) with CIAs? How much?

2. Traffic22

Traffic22 Full Access Member

My numbers are similar, 100% stock. Typically when moving, about 5-10 degrees above ambient, depending on how warm it is and how fast I’m going.

Stopped in traffic, it’ll shoot up a bit at idle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DINOZR likes this.
  3. Donmatteo

Donmatteo FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

Temp also depends on the radiator slats on if they are open or closed. Closed, the temp can be significantly higher than ambient.

Traffic22 likes this.
  4. DINOZR

DINOZR Full Access Member

Does anyone have numbers to compare using a CAI?

In the dash gauge display, I assume Inlet Air Temp is measured in the air intake pre-turbo and I assume manifold charge temp is measured in the intake manifold post turbo and intercooler. Is that correct?

5. Ali 556

Ali 556 Full Access Member

IAT is at the airbox, manifold charge temp is just before the throttle body,

The stock airbox has the stupid turn down in the mouth getting the air from outside.

With stock air box you will ALWAYS have higher then ambient temperature.

On my '19 an S&B box sold this issue.

At cruising speed (no load-no boost) the stock pcm with close the stupid shutters to make the truck more aerodynamic and temp will go up.

I recommend to remove a slate or two of the upper shutters and remove all the shutters on front of IC.

DINOZR likes this.
  6. GotBoost150

GotBoost150 Member

IAT1 is down stream after filter, post CAC is at top of cold side charge pipe before TB, IAT2 or Manifold temp is on top of manifold at the back, circled sensor.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

TXRaptor and DINOZR like this.
  7. Ali 556

Mmmm, NO

IAT is the one just after the airbox,

Manifold charge temp is the one before the TB, I think this is the MAP sensor

8. GotBoost150

GotBoost150 Member

Yes, IAT is down stream after air box, the sensor just before TB is post CAC temp and yes the one I circled is a MAP that also reads manifold air temperature. Definitely not here to argue but I monitor all these temps with torque pro. Here are some screen shots with and without the the MAP sensor at back of manifold AKA IAT2 and MAP sensor AKA CAC temp just before TB plugged and unplugged. You can see that when they are unplugged they read -40 and IAT2 reads 23 psi boost.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  9. Ali 556

Nice, thx for clarification.